PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I decided a few months ago I wanted an LVC meerschaum. People have been snatching up bent billiard LVCs on ebay for crazy prices. I came across this bent apple and it actually looked better to me. No competition at all on this one. It was dull and dirty. It arrived and I set it on the bench to acclimate for a couple hours before I went to work on it. I was surprised that it is a fairly large pipe. About a third bigger than I expected! The stem is Bakelite. The feel of the bowl reminded me of ceramic. So I used stem polish on the whole thing. It cleaned the rim right up. No tooth marks on the stem. Nice faux alligator case with old style fittings. This is maybe a....40s pipe? 15 minutes after starting I was filling it with 5 O'clock Shadow. It's a comfortable good smoking pipe. It's a winner! I'm calling off the search.
LVCMeerschaum_zpsed33a3c3.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Love it. I've been wanting one of those pipes myself. LVC is the closest Hollywood influence for picking up pipe smoking I have. That pipe of his in For a Few Dollars More is gorgeous. Yours would certainly do and has great color.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
That is a great find. I love finding pipes on eBay that nobody else wants, however rare it may be.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
Great looking rusticated pipe. Brings back the mid seventies spaghetti westerns to mind!!!
Jon

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I found this 2 month old thread. I am in the market for a Lee Van Cleef. I see that R.Baglan is making new ones. Would I have a hard time finding a vintage type one like the one in this thread? I would prefer that.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Hi Stan, the newer If you watch meerschaum pipes on eBay you will eventually find one. Though not terribly common, they do pop up with some regularity. Competition can be fierce. You may have to pay $100 or more for one closer to an actual LVC.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Wow, that's a great looking meerschaum. It would be great if you would be so kind as to post pics as it evolves over you smoking it. 1940's? I wonder how many bowls it's taken to get that great patina.....can you say patina for the coloring on a meerschaum? As it changes please post. I have always wanted to see a time-lapsed record of how these pipes change. If it's old I assume this is an old school block Turkish meerschaum? How's she been smoking for you, now that you've had her a time?

Congrats and enjoy!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@stanlaurel - I looked for a full bent, smooth billiard meerschaum (just like the original LVC pipe) on ebay for about a year and half. When I did find some they were going for a crazy prices and there were always multiple bidders. I was fortunate to come across this beauty one day, and though its not a full bent its the closet I was able to find at a reasonable price. The seller was a first time seller which probably scared most people away, and the auction wasn't listed correctly which also limited the number of views it got. I was the only bidder and I got this pipe for $64. It was a brand new pipe from Adana Turkey from the early 1960s. You can find the LVC pipes out there and ones similar but it takes lots of looking and patience.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
@metalhead - That's a good find. It is the right shape. I hope that it colors well and ages like the one in the movie.
I found a few places where you can get new "authentic" LVC meerschaums:
gqtobacco
altinok
One is $173 and the other is $200.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I had always heard that meer started coloring on the shank first. The one in my avatar did just like yours. Started at the top of the bole. I hope it looks half as good as yours is turning out. I love that marbled affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.