PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I have lurked around this forum for about 6 months lol. I feel like I know some of you through your posts as I enjoy spending hours reading different stuff here in the forum. When Peck posted his pics of the dual XXL Layton pipes he had ordered, the light tan sandblast reached out of the computer screen and smacked me upside the head. I was looking at name brand pipes, Dunhill, Castello, high end Peterson (yeah I love Petes for some reason!), but not a single one I looked at sang to me.
Then I read in a thread here in the forum about why buy something like any of those as they are “factory” pipes and (perhaps) attention to detail may have slipped a bit? Instead, the OP indicated, find a good carver and commission a pipe as it is a much better value. You now have one person taking care of the entire process and the end result will be something worth treasuring as long as the carver is squared away while a commissioned pipe from a poor carver, not so much. I bought into that idea hook line and sinker. Members here spoke highly of Clark and his pipe caving abilities and from what I can see in pictures he deserves the praise. This is my first commission and I wanted only one change, the Cumberland stem on the light sandblast otherwise the same design, color as the light colored XXL Clark carved for Peck. Clark has been very helpful to me, he answered all my questions quickly and completely, and IMHO knocked it out of the park! I cannot wait for it to arrive.
dsc04317-600x449.jpg

dsc04321-600x449.jpg

dsc04333-600x449.jpg

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
That is a nice pipe there. Congrats and thanks for sharing with us. I lurk a lot as well, I post from time to time, but for the most part I like reading what people have to say most of the time.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice. Clark is gaining quite a reputation, especially on this forum and it's justly deserved from what I'm hearing. This may be your first commission but I'll bet it isn't your last. Enjoy.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Hi
Just wanted to say thank you to all for your comments. Papipeguy, you are correct I may know of a good carver to order another one from 8)!!
Clark, no worries!! If someone does good work, that needs to be pointed out!! Works the other way also if the work is horrible, but I think you have little to fear in that area.
Hope all of you have a great evening! Some Irish Flake has promised me if I visit in a few minutes a whole hour of just plain Ahhhhhhhhh. So I am taking it up on that!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Another beauty by Clark, very well done and congrats on the new briar, ford! Solani Aged Burley Flake smokes heavenly out of my Layton and it is almost exclusively dedicated to that blend. If you like it or have not tried it yet, give 'er a whirl.
On a side note, i just noticed your avatar and realized that those cowboys were in fact riding grizzly/kodiak bears while shooting old single action revolvers. I think you are in the running for best/most creative/most manly avatar pic EVER. Good Form.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
layinpipe, I loved that pic as soon as I saw it!! Glad you like it, reminds me of a joke my dad used to tell. What do you give a man who rides a Grizzly? Answer: Anything he wants!
I have not tried the Solani Aged Burley Flake but I just added it to my TAD list !

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
It is EPIC. Just got 4 tins of the ABF from Smoking Pipes, actually made a thread about it a little while ago. You should take advantage of their free shipping over $50 deal they have going on right now, if you have an extensive TAD list, lol.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Hi Peck,
I completely understand Clark was 2 weeks out when I commissioned mine. He may be farther out now though, I noticed a few threads here indicating people had ordered. I know I am saving as fast as I can for another one from Clark!
Hi layinpipe,
Can't make my TAD order quite yet, saving for another commission from Clark!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
It arrived yesterday and I find this pipe to be the best I have smoked!! I have smoked two full bowls out of it so far and both bowls were longgggggggg and smooth! Irish Flake for the first and ODF for the second and two full flakes in each bowl. (Usually can fit only one flake into a bowl.) It is not heavy although it looks it, instead when clenched it rests on my chin perfectly. I swear I am picking up some new flavor out of the tobacco because of the bigger bowl. Seems more full. The draw is smooth and effortless, but not open like a cob with no filter if you see what I mean. Overall I am very impressed, the pipe smokes like a dream and looks great!!
End state, I will be purchasing another pipe from Clark, probably a few more as time goes on. I suspect Clark will be making fine pipes for quite some time I am worried that I may not be able to afford his work in the future. But I can now and plan to take full advantage of that. If you have not commissioned a pipe before and have ever thought about it. Stop thinking now and call Clark. He knows what he is doing, and answers questions quickly and completely and the pipe he builds is a dream to smoke.
Thank you and happy New Years!!
268-600x337.jpg

269-600x337.jpg

2751-600x337.jpg

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
One last thing, a pic is worth a thousand words. I figured out a neat way to give you scale. The below pic is of my Ferndown 1* and my Bent Billiard XXL by Clark.
001-600x337.jpg

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
I'm glad you like it fordm60 as you know. And I'm sure it's nice to be smoking outside on a fine looking day. There is ice falling from the sky here.

Status
Not open for further replies.