My Latest Rad Davis Commission

(41 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from john218
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rad just completed the 5th pipe for my 7 day set and it is a classic straight Apple in a group 5 size. It has a Cumberland stem with an inlay of Spalted Tamarind. It weighed in at 44 grams and I am psyched it is on the way. Two more to go and my set( all of them are black sandblasted pipes in traditional shapes) will be complete.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Gorgeous.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe Harris! I'd really like to see the whole collection once it is complete.

BLACKBLOODs for life...just please keep making Black House!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outstanding.

Can we see the whole collection so far?

And GOOD ON YOU for supporting this great artisan with commissioned work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe Harris. The set with all black sandblast is going to look incredible lined up. Well done!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a keeper. I can visualize you now - lounging in the "grotto" in your silk smoking jacket, living large and smoking this new Rad. Congrats, you deserve it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

nice pipe Harris!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a beauty. Congratulations Harris. Bravo!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

44 oz and that stem, what a combo! Enjoy breaking that one in.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice Harris. That looks like a winner!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. vespertillio

vespertillio

Login to Send PM

That is gorgeous. I too would love to see the 7 day set. Enjoy her sir.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe, and another really dark cumberland! Those are classy..
    Great pipe! Enjoy it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. salewis

salewis

Login to Send PM

I have two of Rad Davis' pipes and I love them both. Can't wait to get a third.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, all I can say is you have incredible taste sir. That is one beautiful peice of art. My hat off to you sir. Let's see the rest of them!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful !

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys it is appreciated. I have decided the next one to be made is going to be a group 5 Zulu, followed by a straight Billiard also group 5. No Rad collection would be complete without one of his Zulu's and no 7 day set would be complete without a straight Billiard in my view.
    Here is what the seven day set looks like so far. It is in order of my purchases.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am also toying with the idea of replacing one of the Lovats with a Rhodesian. I am not sure I want my seven day set to have two of the same style. What do you guys think?

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I'm a huge fan of the Rhodesian shape so my vote is an easy one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Since you asked, I think if was having pipes made to my specifications, they would all have natural stummels.

Other than that, as a "set," I would think they would all be different shapes and sizes; that those are specifically is up to you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris you need a poker. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

piper, I am leaning towards the Rhodesian, I also like that shape. I have a Rad Rhodesian in a different stain and love the way it smokes.

Bradley, not a big fan of pokers. I have a Cherrywood I like, so that might be a possibility.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations Harris on your new pipe. I also hope you are feeling better related to your kidney stone procedure.

You will like the Zulu shape. I have a Rad Smooth in that shape.

Doug.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, what I really admire is one member here has the most beautiful Hawkbill pipes, you like hawk bills? What you think? I believe it's Cortez , really stunning shapes. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is an OUTSTANDING set.

Well done to both of you: Rad fr making them; you for supporting a great artisan.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doug, thanks buddy. I noticed you called the other day, I have my daughter so I will give you a shout Sunday night.

Bradley, never been a fan of the Hawkbill, but thanks for the suggestion.

tslex, thank you. I do feel an obligation to support our guys and it really is not a hard decision when it comes to Rad's pipes. I honestly believe that he makes some of the best pipes available on the market and his prices are more than fair especially in comparison to the Danes and other top line American carvers. A new blasted Former is double the price of my Rad's and they do not smoke as well. There are some American carvers charging 600.00 plus for their basic blasts which I know from talking to many people are not better and in many cases not as good as a Rad Davis pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

reap

Login to Send PM

Those are some awesome looking pipes, and having a 7 day set will be so impressive. Congrats.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

k9shag

Login to Send PM

I second the poker

Beautiful collection

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't believe some folks don't love pokers. Truly one of my favourite shapes. To each his own I guess. I think the Rhodesian is a great idea. I think in a 7 day set each pipe has to be a different shape. Harris, you might actually consider getting a special 7 pipe stand or case to hold the completed set. Would really bring it all together.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Peck, that is a really good idea on the case and I agree about having 7 different shapes. I will contact Rad and see if he can make a case for me. I don't know what it is about pokers but they just do nothing for me. I know they are great smokers because of the thick walls they always have but to my eye they just look clunky. I am going to go with the Rhodesian and maybe have him do me one with the Spalted Tamarind cap like this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris,

The rhodesian is spectacular, but have you considered a prince or banker? How about a bulldog (probably redundant if a rhodesian makes the cut)? Rad makes a mean prince:

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pitchfork, I am not a fan of the Prince shape. I think it is very pretty, but they are just too small for me. Most are group 3's and I think it wouldn't look right if he made one a group 4. Thanks for the idea though. I am also not a fan of the Bulldog and I don't know why. It is a classic shape for sure, but I just don't care for them. I am pretty limited in the pipe shapes that I like for some reason. Dublins, Apple's, Billiards,Lovats, Rhodesians are my favorite shapes and I rarely deviate from them. I guess I am boring in the shapes I enjoy. lol Luckily there are many variations of those shapes I like so I do have a lot of pipes that do not look exactly the same.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just got this Sav G. d'O. 320 KS Author from Dave Neeb. It's a solid Group 5, maybe a bit larger actually, and the bowl diameter is a hair more than 7/8." I got it to smoke Aromatics, Englishes, Balkans and such -- after all, I, reasoned, it's not a flake pipe, right?

Turns out I was wrong. It actually smokes my cube-cut virginia flakes very well (better than some of my other pipes that should be perfect for flakes), smokes extremely cool and dry, is balanced perfectly and I love how it feels in the hand. I love how it looks!

Just an out-of-the box thought for ya, Harris.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really nice set going there Harris, congrats...The Rhodesian is a great choice to add to the set

I picked up a Ser Jac S2 Rhodesian about 7 months ago, it has become one of my trusted smokers...love the shape

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would definitly get the Rhodesian with the spalted tamarind cap. It looks awesome.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, interesting idea, thanks. I am glad to hear your group 5 Sav smokes flakes great for you. I own more group 5 pipes than any other and have found they smoke my cube cut flakes extremely well. I know the purists say flake pipes should be group 3 or 4 max, but I love my 5's and small 6's. I think the purists never took into account the cube cut method and were strictly fold and stuff guys which does make sense. I did not have much success folding and stuffing a larger pipe. You are not the first person I have heard praising that particular Sav, it does have a really good reputation and the price is hard to beat.

smoking, thanks. I really do love the look of that Rhodesian. I remember when it first showed up on his site and I wanted it bad. It was out of my price threshold at 550.00 so I passed, but I am thinking that since it will complete my set, the extra 150.00 won't kill me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pitchfork, I am not a fan of the Prince shape. I think it is very pretty, but they are just too small for me. Most are group 3's and I think it wouldn't look right if he made one a group 4.

I had forgotten you like larger (grp 4-5) pipes. And like you say, big princes just don't work.

On the issue of flake pipes, I've found that smaller pipes generally work best, but one of my very best VA smokers is a freehand Briar Workshop pipe. I won't even try to describe the shape, but it's probably a group 5 in size and it makes VA's and Vapers just sing. Meanwhile, I have grp 3-sized billiards, with narrowish chambers that just suck, so I use those for English blends, burleys and the occasional Lakeland. Clearly there are multiple variables at work in terms of which tobaccos smoke best in different pipes -- there's overall chamber size, there's depth vs. bore (width), chamber shape (conical vs. straight) and draft hole size.

More mysteries of the pipe...

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a little late to the party here (still recovering from the flu/bacterial infection) - but that pipe is gorgeous. Appreciate seeing your entire Rad collection too.

I am not sure I want my seven day set to have two of the same style. What do you guys think?

I saw that you're going for the Rhodesian. I was actually going to recommend that myself.

Big Congrats to ya!

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris

That is a great looking collection and I hear that you are adding an addition to the house to store them all in! LOL

Congrats!

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pitchfork, it is amazing at how some pipes sing with certain blends and that one size does not fit all. I have found group 4's and 5's and even a couple of small 6's make my flakes smoke great.

Thanks six, that Rhodesian is definitely calling me.

Allan, no need for additions,I am going to be moving some pipes out to make room. No reason to have pipes I just look at sitting. Thanks for the nice comment.

The pipe came in yesterday and I loaded it up with some 2007 Stonehaven. It smoked great, light as a feather, incredibly comfortable and the pics don't do it justice. It will be a favorite for years to come. I really love the Apple shape.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am also toying with the idea of replacing one of the Lovats with a Rhodesian. I am not sure I want my seven day set to have two of the same style. What do you guys think?

I agree you don't want two Lovat's in your seven day set. That Rhodesian would fit in very nicely though. That being said, I call dibs on the Lovat you will be getting rid of!

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe, Harris; love the spalted insert. That looks like a very comfortable stem.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, barleynbaccy, pascal, woodsroad, peckinpahhombre, dread, texmexpipe, briarfriar, darwin, fmgee, gamxiaoyuan, gigger48, snagstangl, leacha, sparks, weezell, dermotfahy, daimyo, pruss, soymilkisgood, cosmicfolklore, mmjk, wilson, lestrout