PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
So I've been smoking for almost a year now and I think I have a good hold on how I personally best enjoy my pipes (with room for improvement of course).
There is just one thing that I am unsure about, so I thought I would ask you all.
For me, the last ~30% of the bowl never tastes nearly as good as the first ~30%. I tried everything that came to mind. Packing it differently, relighting differently, tamping out ash at different times or not at all, to name a few.
I just need to know... is it normal? I understand that it's not all that likely for every bit of the pipe to taste the same as the first puffs once all the variables are introduced, but sometimes it's difficult for me to even recognize the tobacco as I get to the last part of the bowl.
So any reassurance or tips are greatly appreciated.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
+1 Sothron. I generally find the last third richer and tastier than the first third, if I have done everything right.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Questions aren't reserved to newbies.I've been smoking pipes for a lot of years and I'm still asking them. Don't sweat it if you have more. This is a great to get them answered.I too have trouble with the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I smoke it. Most times I dump a bit of it.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I believe it's all the tar/resin going to the bottom, the further you smoke down, the more of that you are smoking and thusly you get the change in flavor. Most tobaccos taste worse to me towards the bottom, however some taste better.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Rotschefeller:
I'm with Puffy. Don't stop asking questions.
I've played with pipes for over 40 years and have become a serious pipe smoker in the last 24 months. And I ask FNG/Newb/even Dumb ass questions on a right regular basis.
This forum is, hands down, the most helpful, least judgmental club you'll ever join.
By nature, I'm not a handy guy. But I've learned so much about pipe cleaning and maintenance that I don't even think twice about picking up a skanked out estate pipe and ripping into it: sanding, salting, refinishing, hell, even where to go when I find out I'm over my head. I've also become more knowledgeable about pipe shapes, brands and sub-brands, tobaccos and how to smoke them than I ever thought possible.
And generous? Brother, I've asked questions about a specific brand of tobacco and, within 30 minutes, have had three different PMs offering me samples.
I am, quite happily, addicted to this place like a drug.
Fnord

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i to have had issues in regards to the heel. i have had times where the heel really tasted very good. i do not know why it happened. i always smoke my bowls too the heel for 2 resons, proper break in of the pipe and as to not waste tobacco. do what these guys suggest to do. this is a great forum, many many great members here. do not give up on the heel, keep workin it. ask as many questions as you want. you will always get help here.
mike.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am certainly with Puffy and Fnord - there is nothing wrong with asking questions - keep asking them.
Maybe part of your issue is the buildup of tars and moisture in the stem while you smoke. Do you run a cleaner through the stem while you are smoking?

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
Well, could it be that the water condensation at the bottom of the pipe wets and this changes the flavor of the tabaco at the bottom?

How would one "dry" the second part of the bowl, or remove the moisture on a briar???

I have a falcon and I remove the bowl and dry the pipe as soon as I hear the humidity !!!
Just wondering !!!!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I find that the last part of a bowl can be nasty if I let it go out for several minutes. I've learned to just smoke it straight to the end and if that's not possible, then I'll dump that last bit of it rather than re-light it.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
chargerucd -- and the OP --
It would help, perhaps, to run a pipe cleaner through the stem when you're about halfway through a bowl or when you start to hear some gurgling. I've run into pipe smokers who, for some reason, never thought to actually run a pipe cleaner through while they were smoking, but that can help take care of a number of issues: moisture in the bowl, a clog that's forming at the air hole, moisture in the shank. Even if you aren't experiencing any issues during a particular bowl, you might be pleasantly surprised how much a pipe cleaner at the halfway point can "clear up" the flavor of what you're smoking.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
Rmbittner, thanks for the suggestion,

I'll try that with the briars!! I honestly never thought about running the pipe cleaner during smoking.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
The stuff at the bottom is the dottle. It's typically sour and wet and if left unchecked it can sour your pipe. The size of your dottle can be affected by how 'wet' you smoke your pipe.
I myself am a wet smoker and I have to run pipe cleaners through my stem a few times while I'm smoking. Of course you could be a badass like Sherlock Holmes and dry out your dottle to smoke later! ^_^
And never stop asking questions. Ever. About anything.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I also have to run a pipe cleaner through several times during a smoke. I think the relative humidity where you are the time can also effect how wet the toacco gets at the bottom of the bowl.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
questions are good, practice,drill, rehearse. Questions keep us engaged. When I started smoking pipes I was a run on question. You have a forum just for asking questions. Wish I had that back when.Briar is a magical wood.It gives, takes and surprises Each has their own encounter. Some are common and some vague. Always observe whats going on while smoking. This will form your unique path through this wonderful world. After a lot of of years smoking, making and swearing at pipes I had a question that was giving me pause about the future,a cross road for me. What to do? I didn't want to ask the question. Felt stupid. On the pipe makers forum along comes SASQUATCH,a member, and answers my question while answering someone else's problem. It was as hard as taking a drink of water, for him. The point is ,You have to ask and read, all these people here are friendly, and some, Very Gifted.

I hope this will help because all of us are the future of pipes and their enjoyment. Good smoking till the release of pipe angels.

Status
Not open for further replies.