PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
Hey guys so I'm knew to the pipe smoking scene and I have had my doubts about it at first going threw tongue burn and a burnt out pipe that was cheaply made,but that said I think I have come into my own a little. I started smoking a hookah back a few years ago but it took so long to set up I used it maybe 4x a year. Then a lawer friend of mine smoked a pipe with me for. First time 2 years ago and June of last year I bought my first brair pipe or at least I thought it was briar turns out it was junk burned threw near the stem at the base of the Bowl. So I threw it in my ditch and threw out my three sutliff tins that night thought I would go back but that same friend said dude buy something made in Italy they mostly all rock so I did and I this pipe it's a long church warden made in Italy by a guy named brindisi not expensive but I like the cooler smoke but it's a tiny bowl so it's a fast 10 - 15min smoke.

Here's some questions I had

-I have tryed aromatics and I like the idea of them they sound great but I have yet to enjoy one most have given me bad tongue bite. I do like lane 1Q though

Any good beginner suggestions ? On how to pick a good aromatic blend. I'm really into the frog Morton series but I know they aren't really aromatic

-my next thing sadly my pipe stem broke inside my beautifully broken in bowl and I'm looking to replace on a very tight bugget. I'm looking into cobs like the Missouri meerschaum I like the idea of the grab bag for 30$ any body have thoughts on this ? Pleas keep in mind I like a cooler smoke but a churchwarden is not completly needed.

If I go with the Missouri Meechaum I am thinking of buying a Forever stem any thoughts on this?

-as a new pipe smoker I'm not sure what stem material to go with looks have lil to do with what I want I'm into comfort!

Thanks for ur in put

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. First, a new stem for your pipe would cost about $30. Not a bad investment if you really like the pipe. Cobs are great for many reasons. They are good for trying blends and they're very durable if you take care of them.

As for tasty aromatics, I only smoke 2. Rattray bagpiper's Dream is a wonderful blend with a cognac topping. Delicious to smoke and the room note is great. My other aro is C&D Gentleman Caller. It's a burley based blend with deer tongue. You love it or hate it. I happen to love it. 1Q is the most popular aro in the USA and a good starter blend. If you like maple the C&D Autumn Evening is another nice blend.

Enjoy your time here, have fun and good luck on your pipe journey.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
Thanks a lot man how would I know if a stem would fit my pipe ? As I look for them it never lists the brand mine is and I'm not sure if I can get the broken piece out of my pipe but I am very interested in replacing the stem.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Welcome danimal. It's true, a new stem will cost like $30. But you cat just buy one- it has to be made for your pipe. Check out Walkers Briar Works. In fact, the cost of a forever stem for a MM will be almost the same.
There is nothing wrong with cobs, including the grab bag.
Regarding a cool smoke- it's a virtual guarantee that the problem is your technique. Every new person struggles with that and tongue bite/burn. Packing too loosely, smoking tobacco that's too wet, and smoking too fast are the common offenders. Let your baccy dry a bit before smoking, and learn to smoke SLOW. Little sips, not big heavy draws. It will probably go out, that's okay. You'll get better. If you are making tons of satisfying smoke, you're doing it wrong :)
As to tobacco. I've found with aromatics I was always chasing for something "really flavorful". The reality is they always smell amazing but the taste is more subtle. Recommendations:
CAO Eileen's Dream (good flavor, cool smoke)

Sutliff Molto Dolce

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
On how to pick a good aromatic blend. I'm really into the frog Morton series but I know they aren't really aromatic
If you like the Frogs, so what if they aren't aromatics? Smoke 'em anyway. :puffy:

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
Thanx guys. Yeah I like my Frog mixes but I would like to get into aromatics mostly bc of the wife she says my pipe smoke " smells like shit" hahaha. Thanks for the suggestions on the aromatic blends. One thing I see in the description of tobacco really dose me no good but once see it says anything about sweet I shy away from it. Any way I think it just experience.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome, Danimal.

If you are looking at a couple of aromatics with a good room note you might want to try Brigadier Blacks - Gettysburgh ( Burly/ Va) with peach room note and their Bull Run (Cavandish) with vanilla room note. Another one, women have told me they really like is Molto Dolce by Sutliff . I am more into Va and VaPer tobacco of late, but I like a number of aromatics. Non smokers and many women like the smells of aromatic tobacco, like your wife is indicating. Honestly there are many aromatics that smell good. The catch is finding a few you like to smoke as well. There are some real tongue scorchers out there.

Enjoy the hunt :) The list really is extensive.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
I tryed a few suttlif blends the room note was great but man I did not enjoy the smoke at all I'm really loving the dark mellow smoke of burley and cavendish I'm glad I'm joined learning a lot recently.so I'm ordering the bag of corn cobs from MM. Thanks again

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Odin's Wind is an aromatic that I have come to really enjoy and I have not experienced tongue bite yet...smoked about 5-6 tins and it's wonderful...

Status
Not open for further replies.