PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just thought I'd mention that my high school -- Centralia High School, in Centralia, IL -- just won the USA Today contest for the most unusual high-school sports mascot. Not too hard to believe: The team name is Orphans. (They're the only "Orphans" in the nation.)
While you might think "Orphans" sounds like a terrible name for a team, consider this: The Centralia Orphans high-school boys basketball team was the winningest team of the 20th century. About eight years ago, I wrote stories about the team's legacy for The Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine (which requires a fee to read the piece) and American Profile (which doesn't). Here's a link to the American Profile story, if you're at all interested in the teams' story: http://americanprofile.com/articles/high-school-winningest-basektball-team/.
Go, Orphans!!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hmmm. . . Didn't expect *that* question!
I'm 51; a 1979 grad of CHS. And I'm neither a teacher nor an involved alum. But since it's the only high school I've ever attended, it's still "my" high school, right?
Just thought it was a fun thing to share, since USA Today is a national paper and the contest was featured on the Today Show earlier this week. (And I do think the Orphans' record is pretty remarkable.)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.