My First Taste of Unobtanium (A.K.A. Astley’s No. 44)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Whilst traveling for work, as I always do lately, I visited a big B&M that has a deep selection of tobaccos that are impossible to find online anymore (think Esoterica, Sam Gawith tins, etc.). I finally decided on a tin of Astley’s No. 44. I eagerly broke the seal and got a deep nose full, savoring the rich natural sweetness oozing forth. I let it dry for 20 minutes, even though it didn’t need it, and after smoking my first bowl I could not be more impressed. The flavor of this Virginia is layered and rich and it never gets hot or tastes acrid, despite my poor technique. More than the flavor, the smoking characteristics impressed me profoundly. It lights easy, stays lit, burns cool, and produces the finest snow white ash I’ve ever seen.
Does anyone know of a readily available (available online) tobacco that is similar to this gem? I know you’re thinking well damn, just buy more of the good stuff. Problem is, this shop is 3 hours from home and these tins run $17 a piece. Can anyone recommend something similar that is available online? Thanks!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Astleys 44 is good stuff. The only blend that springs to mind as similar is Wessex Campaign Dark Flake, but it’s just about as hard to get as no. 44. I’d advise either staying alert online and snatching them up as retailers get them available (they go quick) or to bite the bullet and buy from your shop in larger quantities. You’re either going to go cheap but complicated or easy and expensive in your search.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Man... I straight up told them I was hesitant to get hooked on something I couldn’t get more of, but I did it anyway. I guess I’ll set aside some money for cellaring and get up here once per quarter or so. I’m hooked, this is my ultimate daily smoke at this point. I’ve never had a Virginia like this one.

Oct 7, 2016
It and Wessex Campaign Dark Flake are virtually identical in taste to me.YMMV, and that isn’t all that helpful since they often get into shops hands at the same time. (same distributor) Sign up for alerts at every on line source. I have accumulated about a half dozen of each net of a few sweetheart trades with friends through etailers other than SP and PC. If you like it as much as you say you do, then consider calling around to brick and mortars, but expect to pay at least $17. I got a couple of tins each of 44 and Campaign for $12 and $13 respectively from an online seller in late January this year by way of price comparison.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Does anyone know of a readily available (available online) tobacco that is similar to this gem?

Sounds like you are after rich dark Virginia flavor. I would recommmend Capstan Blue as a readily available alternative to scratch that itch. It is in the same wheel house. I have cellared it deeply for exactly the dilemma you pose. I love FVF and Wessex Campaign and Astleys 44, but they are all hard to get because everyone knows they are good rich Virginia blends. Try Capstan as well. Ymmv.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't see the close resemblance to Wessex Campaign Brigade myself. Similar but not that much. I would recommend you try the John Aylesbury Classic Flake. Lighter and sweeter but very good. And generally available. Fribourg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage are also very, very good Virginia Flakes but also very difficult to obtain. SG Best Brown Flake has some similarities but is also very difficult to get. While I think the flavor profile for Capstan Blue is fairly different, it is a very good blend and as npod noted, very readily available.
While it is a fair amount different in flavors, I'd recommend you try GLP Union Square and C&D Opening Night. Lighter VA Flakes and quite good. Biggest problem is the majority of the best quality VA Flakes are difficult to obtain. Astley's 44 is one of the most difficult. You shouldn't overlook the 109. Not everyone will agree but I find it to be quite good, just not as deep and rich as the 44.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's funny how the availability of different blends seem to wax and wane. 5-6 years ago Astley's 44 and 109 were in plentiful supply, and John Aylesbury Luxury Flake was virtual unobtainium. Wessex Campaign went through a drought and then a flood. 44 is a good blend, though both 44 and 109 went through changes and are different than they were 5 years ago.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
If you look...109 and 1,2,55,66,88,99 are out there and Wessex Campaign does come and go. Never had 44...But I do enjoy Dunhill Dark Flake.

Yeh, mentioning 109 was my first lesson in not spouting off about a blend on forums. I think that the idea for some is that they want to see a blend that they love get some business, or to share a new find with friends, but what happens is that these blends become harder to get. If a company's demand grows, it does not translate into more production,.. for whatever reason.
No, I have no idea where you could find this blend online. All of the Astleys seem to run out within minutes if they get restocked to an online vendor. I just keep restocking from B&M's. My suggestion is to just go back and get as much as you can from the B&M... unless you are going to my B&M, and then my suggestion is to try something else. :puffy:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It's threads like this that cause my TAD to flare up. :roll:
There's been a couple of threads as of late that have mentioned Capstan Blue. This leads to reading reviews about it which leads to reading reviews about Capstan Gold which, somehow, leads to reading reviews about Aylesbury Dark Virginia Flake, which leads to reading reviews about Germain Rich Dark Flake, which leads to reading reviews about Ashton Platinum, which leads to reading reviews about Gawith Hoggarth Brown Cavendish...
At least those are the tabs I have left open. Luckily I dodged reading about Solani 333. Aw man, dang it!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for all the recommendations, gentlemen! I have many blends to consider. Even if I can’t get 44 so easily, I’m glad I’ve discovered that I like rich red Virginia’s. Anybody know if Sutliff Red Virginia Kake is any good? That one seems to be easily available at the moment.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Red Va Kake is okay, perhaps even a bit good. But no comparison to Astley's 44. The flavor profile for Astley's 44 is not Red Va to me, not in the least. People gave you 15 to 20 alternatives to Astley's 44, not sure why you would want to go off with Sutliff Red Va Kake.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
IF you're looking for Red Virginia blends like McClelland made, there aren't any. There aren't many options left these days. Sutliff's 515 RC_1 is McClelland-like, as it was made as a blending tobacco to replace McClelland 5100. C&D Bijou is worth a look. You might check out Simply Red at Watch City. And there are a few other red blends out there from Wessex and Robert McConnell. But McClelland owned the world of matured Reds and when McClelland vanished, that world vanished with them.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Well this has provided a wealth of knowledge on red va blends, thanks a bunch. I’m looking forward to exploring many of these in the near future. I think these types of blends might be my go to anytime/anywhere smoke. I sort of wrote off pure Va blends as too mild, but the Astley’s 44 definitely changed my mind on that one.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I like the vinegary notes of the Sutliff red Crumble Kakes. It mellows out quickly, leaving a good, sweet, tangy bowl of dark fruits and bread. While disagreeing with Cosmic on the Sutliff, I concur on the Gawith Brown flake. It’s different, but yummy. I just scored a 500g box last week at my B&M. You may also like Rattray’s Dark Fragrant as well. Read some reviews and see if what they describe tickles your fancy.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I love the tangy and sweet taste these Virginia’s provide, I’m probably going deep down this rabbit hole. Thank a bunch for all the recommendations. I saw some Dark Fragrant at this B&M as well, next time I’m up that way I’ll take out a loan and buy all of their Red VA blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.