My first sandblasted pipe...how to lighten the stain?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Morning all. And a happy new year. So I am quite excited, I have my first sandblasted pipe. I've am working on cleaning it up and getting it ready to smoke. However I am thinking that I would like to lighten up the stain somewhat so the sandblasted grain shows up better. Now I no how to do that with a rusticated or smooth pipe but am not sure how to do that with a sandblasted. I don't want to sand it as that would ruin the sandblast. I think? Any tips out there?

3.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Think about this. There are undoubtedly ways to remove part or all of the stain, and that's a consideration. Plenty of good advice on Forums. However, a classic blast finish is black, and the grain comes up nicely, especially as the pipe ages, without any refinishing. For example, if after every smoke you polish it with a polishing cloth with slight abrasive qualities, this may help bring up the grain. I'm not saying don't do it, but only that is is my instinct or intuition to let the patina (wear) bring up the grain through time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
However, a classic blast finish is black, and the grain comes up nicely
Hmmm, never have seen a black sandblast. Most of mine are brown. A rag soaked with 91% isoprobyl alcohol will lighten it, and give the pipe a matte finish, but know that sometimes dark stains are used to cover fills and other flaws.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Like chasingembers says ^ Only I would dip an old stiff bristle toothbrush in the alcohol and try brushing it if you want all the stain to look even in the crevices too. Go slow with this because when wet the pipe will look darker than after it dries. Also try polishing it after you do this because that can change the coloring too. Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My examples of black blasts, on my rack, are a Chacom and a Tsuge. Dunhill seems to stain quite a few of its blasts black, but I don't own any Dunhills. I think maybe Parker does some blasts in black as well. The lightening process sounds pretty simple, so if you want it lighter now, I say go for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', the Tusge was called a "tasting pipe" but was full size. Mine is a straight billiard, but I heard there were other shapes elsewhere at a higher price. For some reason, PC had mine at a kick-em-out $39.99, and it seems to have the fit and finish of a up-market Tsuge. The blast on this one is light, subtle, but well defined and intricate. I know some like the deep gnarly blasts -- I have a Ser Jacopo blast like that, in a lighter brown stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.