PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

killingsin

Lurker
Jun 19, 2015
Greetings and Grace to you,
It was a fine day for me, after many months of perusing the art and hobby of Pipe Smoking... my first pipe (a Savinelli Caramella Rustica 611 KS) arrived in the mail today along with a tin of Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. I took the advice of some folks from a previous post on here into what I should do... take it slow and enjoy, have a biscuit with it. What a treat. I sat on my front porch with some Russel's Reserve Bourbon and my go to snack (Great Value Pretzel Rods) by my side as I packed and smoked my first pipe. Things went well I think. I had to relight (using matches) 9 times but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the taste of the tobacco along with my drink and snack. I look forward to many more evenings of enjoying this new hobby and experiencing what it has to offer for me. Grateful for your help thus far and I look forward to getting to know you more.

Sincerely,

Jesse

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Congratulations! You're a virgin no longer! It only gets more satisfying. Beautiful child you're holding by the way.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Congrats Dad, you look as though you've gotten off to a great start and I'm sorry to tell you, it gets worse from here, way worse. :)
The desire to try new and different tobaccos, the near constant desire for new pipes, (you must aquire several, dozens even), the time spent on these forums while jr. Takes his nap, your ruined! Welcome to the ranks of the terminally afflicted!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Congrats! 9 times isn't so bad :) don't worry about delights for now. Keep reading here, work on your technique- relights will take care of themselves. Enjoy!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Excellent!
That's a good looking pipe you have there and it sounds like you're off to a great start. Enjoy. :puffy:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Congrats! on the beautiful new Savinelli and welcome! May you enjoy your journey. :clap:

Apr 10, 2015
Congratulations! I'm in the middle of a reconnection with smoking, and loving every moment. Take it slow, enjoy every puff, and don't overcomplicate it!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Awesome! Nice Pipe! Best advice given by fightintexasaggie. Go slow! I have made the mistake of rushing a pipe just to burn the hell out of my mouth. Find a good cadence between the sip and a lite handed tamp. And forget about the relights. It took me a year before I settled down to completely follow those great advices from our more advanced brethren of the briar :puffpipe:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congrats on a fine afternoon. Packing the bowl is key to avoiding many relights. I would encourage you to watch the attached video from James Fox Tobacco. I've been using this method for many years and it is nearly foolproof for a majority of blends. Good luck and let us know how you progress.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=james+fox+pipe+loading+videos&FORM=VIRE5#view=detail&mid=141516F30609D0B9D464141516F30609D0B9D464

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The more you smoke, the more experience you will gain at packing your pipe and the fewer relights you will have.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Congrats! Welcome to our wonderful hobby. I love those Savinelli Caramellas. I want to get one myself...beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.