PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Ok, ok, not really, but sort of......
As some of you here may know, my very first pipe was given to me by a dear friend and mentor, a retired U.S. Marine General, back in 1982 while I was stationed in Pensacola FL.
It was a Dr. Grabow Bent Bulldog.
Sadly for me, somewhere over the years and moving around the globe, I lost it. :(
As good fortune would have it, I recently found and joined a Dr. Grabow Pipe Forum. Soon after joining I was invited to join a group of DG fans for a tour of the Sparta NC Dr. Grabow Factory.
My Son Seth joined me for the trip.
At the end of the tour we were invited to look through boxes of finished and unfinished pipes that were laying around on the shelves and were allowed to purchase them very cheaply.
I picked up three unfinished Bent Bulldogs for $10 each and three CDL's for $4 !
While I was looking through the pipes the GM of the plant, Rick, came up to me and handed me a beautiful Royalton Bent Bulldog with Amber Bit. Just like the one I'd lost! Better yet, he allowed me to pay only $20 for it.
To say that I was / am stoked, would be an understatement.
So, here I sit, smoking this beautiful little briar (breaking it in with a bowl of Carter Hall), I can't help but smile from ear to ear.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is surely a feel-good story. And a mesmerizingly pretty pipe. Congratulations!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's a great looking Grabow! IIRC, that is the Shape #83. I love those things (have 3 of them in the Royal Duke line) and kind of use the shape as a benchmark for what I think a bent bulldog should look like. And for $20? Smoke it like you stole it, because you did! Congrats.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That has to be one of the most attractive specimens of a Dr. Grabow I've seen.
It's just terrific that the folks at the plant ... even the BOSS ... are decent people and I'm glad he found that for you. You were obviously meant somehow to have it. :puffy:
I'm thankful that factory is still around ...

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
:clap: Smoke it in good health .. I personally get attached myself to objects, regardless of their monetary value, if they have some emotional meaning. It must be a cozy feeling inside having this pipe looking exactly like the one you were gifted an lost !!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's like your pipe smoking has come full circle. Great story, and beautiful pipe!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I know how you feel. I lost my first pipe which was also a Grabow. I couldn't take it anymore so I went and ordered a new one last year.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
I have read here some amazing stories about pipe finds. Congats on you great find, and great price. I hope some day to be so lucky. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bonanza', now you're talkin'! That is one of my all time favorite pipes. Notice how the bulldog bowl is carried off with perfect accent without bead lines. I like bead lines on a bulldog, but the Royalton is one of the few bulldogs that carries off the shape perfectly without the bead lines. Further, take a look at the shape and flow of the bottom of the bowl, just perfect. That's some hand-made craftsmanship off the factory line. I just love my Royalton 'dog. And your description of having the run of the pipes in the back shop will haunt me; it sounds like an actual pipe smoker's dream. Not a metaphor, but an actual narrative vision experienced during sleep. I was hoping you'd picked up some pipes!

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Wow, I haven't seen a Dr. Grabow like that one before!

Beautiful pipe, congratulations on a very nice acquisition!

Status
Not open for further replies.