PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebig

Lurker
Nov 30, 2010
Well I went to the smoke shop, sweet briar's in Columbus Ga. near where I work. I explained to the person (Brett I believe his name is) that I was just starting out and didn't want to get too pricey but also I wanted to start with a nice pipe so my first will be as enjoyable as possible.I got a Savinelli University Pipe, a curved as that seemed a natural way to hold the pipe for me. Not too many blemishes that I can see and is tan color (my wife is the picture taker so she will take some when she gets home). It came with balsa filters, pipe cleaners, tamping...etc tool and an inexpensive butane pipe lighter.

The minimum amount of tobacco he would sell from the glass jars there was 2ounces. At his suggestion I went with Viking and doublegate. With tax it was $73.30 so not too bad to start. I just ate so in a bit it's go on to the deck and do a bowl!!!

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Congratz, any questions, comments, or concerns let us know and we will help as well as we can.

joebig

Lurker
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks,

something I learned on the first draw as a cigarette smoker...don't inhale!!! lol

I was glad I read the tips here that helped with when to tamp...etc.

I filled the bowl about half full (a few pinches) after tamping figuring I would have a short smoke I am surprised that the tobacco doesn't burn up as fast as I thought it would and will have some for another smoke.

I think you're right about the ritual. I need to learn to sit back and just enjoy.

I enjoyed the flavor and the aroma but had to concentrate not to inhale.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hey Joe....it sounds like you're off to a fine start....now simply take your time and enjoy!.... :D

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I agree with all the rest,,,,,,take your time and enjoy,,,congrats on your first pipe

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Welcome,...Pstlpkr brought up a very important part of enjoying a pipe full of tobacco.
The other day a guy at work asked me;

"What's different about smoking a pipe,...you love cigars don't you?"
My answer was;

"It's all about the ritual."
He wrinkled his nose and tilted his head.
I continued;

"It's the selection of a what tobacco and what pipe, the pre-clean, the load, the tamp, the light, the re-tamp and re-light.

The dump, the wipe and finally the return of your beauty to it's place in the pipe rack."
It's a ritual that you'll probably come to embrace.
Congratulations, and welcome to what may become an obsession.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
Congrats and many happy smokes. These guys here will have you ahead of the learning curve in no time. I sure enjoy pipes more with all the great tips. And the ritual, it makes you slow down and relax. I love it and sure you will too.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Way to go on getting started in your pipe smoking journey!
Keep practicing and be patient while starting off. I hope that you enjoyed your first smoke.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Give any moron a cigarette or a cigar and he can turn it into ash, but it takes real skill to smoke a pipe...

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
joebig, welcome to the forum and to the brother/sisterhood of pipesmokers. It sounds like you've got a great B&M store there, that can be a big help for a beginner.

joebig

Lurker
Nov 30, 2010
I've Been smoking the "doublegate" tobacco I got from the B&M and really enjoy it. I'm starting to get the knack of lighting and tamping and it has been a great experience. My cigarette smoking has dropped considerably. I've gotten a few snide remarks from some of the guys at work at the smoking area but all in fun. My wife enjoys the aroma too. I'm hooked!

Status
Not open for further replies.