PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I'm a new guy to smoking the pipe. This is my second attempt to master this instrument after a 20 year hiatus. I live in Canada and we only think we have free health care. 30 bucks for 50 grams of tobacco? Taxes are crazy! A few fellow Canuks told me to try 4noggins as they had great success getting products over the boarder. I will state that 4noggins were totally legit. The package was labeled as per the contents it contained. I did my home work, as I do with any purchase I make online, and I only ordered 200 grams as this amount legally allowed across the boarder tax/duty exempt.
I've only smoked drug store tobacco so I ordered Frog Morton's cellar, Eric Nording Hunter Blend Labrador and Orlik Golden Sliced.
SO I tried Frog Morton's, my first taste of latakia.

It burned cool, needed lots of relights, no bite. I did dry it on a paper plate for about 30 minutes. No gurgle. Not sure what I think. Its so different then all those sweet aromatics I've smoked and grew up around. Hard to describe what smoky tobacco taste like considering its burned lol.
I got 100g of it so I'll give it a chance I guess. It's not that I don't like it. It's just so different then what I'm use to.
Exciting!

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
Better watch those Latakia blends you may find yourself craving more and more.

That's what I've heard! I don't see it yet. Ill update when the tin is empty haha.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I hardly know a coffee drinker that didn't have to "aquire" the taste first.
You on a great path- remember to smoke slow and SIP those tobaccos and you may find a whole new world you love.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cornleader, like coffee, tea and whiskey, non-aromatics are an acquired taste compared to the sweet flavors of most aromatics, but I think it is a taste you will acquire easily. There's something fundamental about the glories of the burning leaf unimpaired by flavorings. Non-aro blends have their own family of flavors, and I think they are ones you will enjoy once you have your senses tuned to them.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I really enjoy the variety of flavors available. We don't always enjoy the same food everyday and I feel the same about a good smoke. I don't drink alcohol but I'm a coffee junky. I like dark roast in the morning, french vanilla in the evening. It's nice to have a different selection of flavors for different situations.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
It'll be a great journey, that we all look forward to taking. Finding a new tobacco or style that you're not used to is fun. Just enjoy and learn and you'll soon find your faves. Best of luck!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Fellow Canadian here and ya, we sure pay a deer price for our tobacco and alcohol. Average price of a 50g tin in my neck of the woods is $38.
I've had great results ordering tobacco and pipes from Smokingpipes and 4noggins. Both have provided me with excellent service and quick shipping.

Unfortunately Pipes and Cigars doesn't ship to Canada or I would be ordering from them as well. They have some blends I'd like to try that aren't available elsewhere which is too bad.
Like you I am also experimenting with and sampling more non aromatics and some of them are quite a shock to the senses at first but I am starting to aquire a taste for them and in some cases even looking forward to the next bowl. :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I like dark roast in the morning, french vanilla in the evening. It's nice to have a different selection of flavors for different situations.
I find the smokey flavor of Latakia to be a great way to begin my day and a quality aromatic in the evening to finish it.
I'm currently smoking through my first tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou and at first I thought the ketchuppy taste was strange but after a few bowls it has now become one of my all time favorites.
Happy sipping!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well there's certainly no rule that says you can't enjoy all types of tobacco! If aros give you pleasure, smoke them....if other kinds do....smoke them too!
As an aside....I find many McClelland Virginia's....if smoked slow and sipped, have a duffle but wonderful natural sweetness. Blackwoods flake can make my mouth water with a zesty-sugary sweetness (again, if you sip lightly).
It's different than an aromatic sweetness, but I wonder if you might enjoy it.
If you've never dealt with flake tobacco- there is a learning curve there.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
If you've never dealt with flake tobacco- there is a learning curve there.
That's why I bought it. I have been researching it quite a bit. I see many different techniques, rubbing, folding etc. i might try a few and see what I prefer. It seems a bit damp in the tin so first I want to figure out the best way to dry it. I'm using paper plates for the loose stuff with great results. I'm actually drying out a bit of the Hunter Blend Lab. It smells good enough to eat!

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Just a note on the 200g. That amount is only allowed duty free if you have left the country and are returning. If you are ordering online, every gram is taxable. I know this first hand unfortunately.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Canadian here as well in Ontario...
I just ordered some more from 4Noggins a few days before I found out about the 20% OFF sale, though sold out so fast it was gone before I logged on so, didn't matter. :)
Great site to order from, and so far, 3 orders and never got hit with duty/import fees.
I wanted to grab the Frog Morton's on my last order, but, no option for the 50g tin and I was worried if I'd like it or not. Then I realized I was over my budget as it was so left it for next time. :D
Tobacco wise... it's cheaper for me to buy from there and ship here, especially since I never get hit with import/duty fees. I've taken advantage of the bulk tobacco they have and order 4-5 1-2oz samplers. I'm also new to pipe smoking and it's a great way to try a bunch of blends. I'll get 5 blends for less than the cost of 1 tin here in Canada.
If you decide you don't like that Frog Morton... if also in Ontario, maybe I could buy what's left or something.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Just a note on the 200g. That amount is only allowed duty free if you have left the country and are returning. If you are ordering online, every gram is taxable. I know this first hand unfortunately.
This is true. The anecdotal evidence is that people typically haven't been charged unless they have been found in excess of 200g but it certainly can happen. Out of about 7 orders from various suppliers I have only been charged once. I happened to have accidentally ordered 2 50g tins and 2 100g tins. I may have caught that charge even if it was under 200g as well, who can say. But this has been debated at length so I digress...
I actually just picked up an order from 4noggins from the post office on my lunch break! I'm delving in to the VaPers with some Sixpence, Elizabethan Mixture and Three Nuns (ok ok three nuns no longer has perique in it). I would have ordered another tin but I didn't want to chance it since the Sixpence is 2oz or ~57 grams. Maybe a total order of 207g would have tipped the scale :roll:
I hope I acquire the taste soon as I've kind of committed myself to it. I also have an order from McCranies of Red Ribbon and Escudo headed to my gf in Montana to bring me in May. Another Canadian problem: McCranies won't ship internationally. And just try to get your hands on esoterica... I think that will remain a bucket list item for me!
Good luck with the frog! Last time I visited the gf in Montana I brought back the whole frog family! Great stuff! I remember my first exposure to english blends... it was a bulk blend from Thomas Hinds in Toronto labeled "My Mixture". It smelled like moccasins. And that smell leached out of the plastic bag and contaminated my entire apartment. You'll grow to like it :puffy:

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I've had smoking pipes shipments incur duty charges

From SmokingPipes?
I know for me, just got my 4th order today from 4Noggins, I've yet to get any duty charges, but, I've not exceeded more than about $40US an order for tobacco, which may be a factor (?).

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
As said above, this has been debated many times. I had an order for 4 tons coming to 200g from smokingpipes get flagged for an additional $125 worth of duty.
It has also been debated on the usefulness of mentioning the skirting and avoidance of national laws on an open forum...
I've made it through and I've been caught...luck of the draw.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Well, may just be the store where it's bought from... From what's I've read, no one has ever been charged anything extra buying from 4Noggins.
As also mentioned above, drezz01 ordered from 7 various vendors and was charged once. May been what was ordered? May been the origin of the purchase? I don't know. All I do know is that the guy from 4Noggins mentioned he's heard of no one in Canada getting billed for extra, and I've not been billed yet ordering from there.
Though not really looking for a debate about skirting laws and such... just wondering if any Canadians have ordered from Smokingpipes, and if they have/not been charged. If 10 people respond and all 10 say yes... then I'll stick with 4Noggins because a good chance I'll be charged too. would be cheaper to buy the 100g tin from 4Noggins than the 50g tin and pay duty. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.