PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've only had one other Oom Paul before. Back in the early 1980s when I first started smoking a pipe, a friend gave me a Kaywoodie Oom Paul pipe. I was just learning about pipe smoking and it gave me fits. The stem was slightly overclocked and I didn't understand the stinger thing, and all it would do is gurgle. So I gave it back. (now I wished I kept it) Anyway, I didn't even know what an Oom Paul shape was then. I've always thought about getting one again, and today I finally did, about 30 years later.

My wife and I decided to go to Jackson (MS) today to do a little shopping, etc. We don't go to Jackson often, as it's about 100 miles away, but when we do, we always go to our favorite B&M, The Country Squire. Well they had a boat load of estate Oom Pauls there, and when I saw the Jansen's N.O. I knew I had to have it! I have a Jansen's Bulldog I bought about 27 years ago when we were in New Orleans on vacation, so I was excited to see another as they're not that common. Fortunately it was the cheapest one too, so I added it to the rest of the tobacco, pipe cleaners, etc. that I was buying. It was pretty much ready to go, but I just had to massage it a little more, and wax it up nice, and now I'm sitting here smoking some Molto Dolce in it and it's a real treat! Big deep bowl, it just seems so different from all my other pipes.

My wife's happy too, as she got some new kind of flake tobacco (Faulkner Flake.... hey it's Mississippi, ok?) and she got a new bamboo wind chime at Home Depot. Sometimes the simple life is so good! 8)

img_00081-600x449.jpg

img_0009-600x450.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm not familiar with that maker but it is a beautiful pipe. It's something you settle in with a good book for a long smoke. It looks very much like my Lorenzo.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Very nice Lorenzo, papipeguy! They do look real similar, but if I remember right, Jansen didn't actually make the pipes, but was the name of the shop owner, and they had pipes made under their name by either Comoy or GBD. It was a really great old pipe shop though, very old and funky!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Great Pipes gents. I myself was leary of an Oom Paul, wondering how well it would smoke. I've got an estate Savinelli Estella I bought and I really liked it once I hand drilled out the airway in the stem a bit. I'm not a huge fan of big chamber pipes, but this one is really nice for sitting down and sipping on something.
It's surprising how much less of a pull I feel on my teeth with that deep bend vs even 1/2- 3/4 bent pipe. Mine has a bit of a narrow chamber that I've been smoking Louisiana Red out of, but I'd like to try a shredded flake in it and see what I can get going.
I tend to use LA Red to break in my new pipes. It's got a straight forward taste that helps me figure what type of tobacco I end up pairing with the new pipe. After a couple of smokes if I find it coming across tangy and wine-like I usually end up keeping the pipes for my VaPers.
PS Ag. I love bamboo wind chimes. Makes me think of summer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oom Paul shape pipes seem to get more moisture complaints than other shape, but pipers seem to have

an affection for the shape anyway, for the big bowl and studious look. Iwan Ries Exclusives used to have

an attractive version at an especially reasonable price, but it hasn't been in stock for years. They do seem

like they would require conscientious cleaning and a long drying time.

Status
Not open for further replies.