PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
I think the title speaks for itself. I've only smoked aromatics and would like to try something else and would like for suggestions for my small leap. I'm sure there will be no consensus, and that's fine. :wink:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For VA blends: Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd and Peterson's University Flake.
For English/Balkan: Balkan Sasieni.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Brian's suggestions are good ones, but I would recommend Dunhill Early Morning Pipe for your first foray into the Dark Side of Latakia.

:puffy:

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Hi gent's

Intresting disucsion for new pipe smoker as I strat with aromatic which is nice to have but still feel it's not my area if you used to smoke cigars.

I chose Frog Morten on the Bayo to be my gate to the dark side and hope it works fine for me.

Wish you a great journey

Wasim

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are leaving aros for the first time, I would not recommend incredibly complex blends that are heavy on the latakia.

My favorite smoke-it-any-time blend with latakia is Old Dublin. It is not a 50-60%, rub-your-face-in-it latakia blend, but it's there.
If you have an e-tailer you have been dealing with, call 'em up and talk to them. They will probably have good suggestions for you. And enjoy your new explorations. :puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree that your first non-aro not be heavy. It could possibly turn you off for future blends. Go with something milder for your first venture, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe is a good choice as is Frog Morton On the Town or The Bayou. I think Hal O the Wind is too much to start as well but I am not schooled enough to recommend a good VA

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
MacBaren Plumcake is also lighter on Latakia but is somewhat complex. Very good though.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good for you Smeaton for thinking outside the box. I'm mostly smoke aromatics but over the past couple years I've started trying different stuff. The Old Dublin from Peterson's is a good one. I like just a little latakia not a punch in the face. I've found that in the summer time when it's hot out and especially after a big meal Virginia blends are nice. I like GL Pease blends like Telegraph Hill, Cairo and Embarcadero at these times.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@Smeaton
I haven't sent out any samples lately. PM me your addy and I'll throw some Shortcut To Mushrooms your way. :puffy:

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I'm going to toss in a vote for Hearth & Home's Black House. It's a very light Balkan Blend (at least to my sense of taste) that was created for a competition to duplicate Balkan Sobranie. I also find there's an underlying creaminess that speaks of aromatics but with all the components of a full bodied non-aro blend.
Also, there's very little bite.
Having recently tried Penzance, I'm sure a few people would throw that in for the offering. It is indeed a fine blend, but requires a bit of luck and good timing to find an available stock somewhere.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Thinking a little outside the box here. You could try some OTC blends like Carter Hall or Prince Albert. You can find them anywhere, and if you don't like em you wont be out much. 8)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Oh, a thought:If you go for a Virginia, or one of the American Classics, beware your puffing techniques. You are gonna get very different flavor profiles than you are used to. Smoke slowly - especially on a Virginia. :puffy:

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
C&D kajun kake is a mild VaPer light on the Per.....

The Va in it gives wafts of baked bread.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Russ @ Pipes and cigars came up with a blend called "Sweet and Savory" that I have to say stands out from the

typical holy grail tobaccos with it's uniqueness and wonderful complex flavor profile.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
For a light English blend, you can't do much better than Boswell Tobacco's Mild English. It would be a good way to introduce you to a light Latakia blend. Their Magnum Blend is also very good. You can buy by the oz. so you could get a small sample of each. One other English I really like is C&D's Plantation Evening. It's a pleasant medium English that has VAs, Turkish, Latakia, and Perique. You can buy tins of it from C&D so you can try a couple of oz. Russ Ouellette at Pipes and Cigars has a wonderful light English called Distinguished Penguin that you can also buy by the oz. and he has another one called Evening Stroll. I would highly recommend that you consider these tobaccos.
Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.