PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I just finished the restoring of this KBB Yello-Bole which was won in a small pipe lot of five a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it's from about 1936-1940? It has the three hole system. Very happy with this one.
yello7.jpg

yello3.jpg

yello6.jpg

yello2.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That is way cool, looks like a classic Dublin - big congrats to you. Excellent job on the restore too.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Beautiful pipe! I'm not familiar with the carburator system. Does it perform like the metal Falcons and Kirstens? The 3 holes are very eye catching.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Can anyone explain the principle of what they do?
It's my understanding that the "carburetor" allows air to be drawn in and mixed with the smoke to cool it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love the lines on this pipe, and if it smokes well, the vent holes are an interesting historical

feature. It's nice to smoke a pipe that is so rare as to be almost singular. There may be a few

others in existence, and perhaps no others that are actually being smoked. I like to think I have

a few one-of-a-kind pipes, but nothing quite this distinct.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
As a different opinion, I have to be honest...I don't like it at all. The walls are way too thin for my liking, don't like the bowl size on a pipe of that size (too large), and I like my smoke unadulterated. This sort of pipe is like drinking beer over ice, or watering down your wine....

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
bryanf good deal. I like a man that will express his opinion and not go along with the crowd, but for me on the other hand. I LOVE IT! Classic dublin shape , classic lines! it and the classic billiard!! FORGET ABOUT IT!! :worship:

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Congrats on a great find. I don't have a three hole carburetor either, but I have several old Yello-Boles and they all smoke good.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I jut got a Kaywoodie Carburetor myself. Three holes like the above. It looks like the two outside holes are allen screws or some attachment device. There is only one hole that goes thru. It raised up from he bottom so no drips of moisture dropping Ive seen. It also has a stinger. All in all I like it. It's noticeably cooler than of my other pipes although I dont have a Peterson or even a Churchwalden style yet to compare to.
The metal stinger cools the smoke some Im sure, maybe the carburetor does too. I like a easy draw pipe and just slowly "breath" the smoke thru so the stinger is not restrictive to me. There is plenty of smoke getting thru so the hole isnt hindering that either. After smoking a few bowls and then cleaning there's a noticeable extra amount of gunk to remove. Most of the gunk is ahead of the stinger and not behind it in the stem.
Im pleased!

Status
Not open for further replies.