PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, it's not a J.T. Cooke, exactly. It's actually one of the pipes Cooke made for Barry Levin and Levin Pipes International in the 80s or early 90s. Nonetheless, it's a really well made pipe with a smooth, but not too open, draw -- qualities that seem to be a hallmark of Cooke's craftsmanship.
I'm about to fire it up with some Frog Morton's Cellar, but I'm most interested in the rustication technique Cooke used on this pipe. It's meant to mimic a ring-grain blast, but I'm not sure that any sand blasting was used at all. Instead, it looks like the rustication was done with some kind of drill or Dremel, while the briar that isn't grooved by rustication appears to have had a wire brush used on it. I wonder if it's this kind of work that led Cooke to develop his famous sand-carving technique later on.
lpi-cooke-001-600x400.jpg

lpi-cooke-002-600x400.jpg

lpi-cooke-003-600x400.jpg

lpi-cooke-004-600x400.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, guys. Bradley, when I was holding it actually reminded me of some of those big Canadians you have. Now I see why you like them.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Woooow, what a trip. Pretty sweet pipe!! The first few pics didnt do the tequnique justice but that close up just blew my mind!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow Pitch - JT certainly has some amazing skills with a sandblast jet. Are you getting on his 4 year waiting list now?
LOL. Believe it or not, I'm not that crazy about Cooke's sandblasts ( :worship: all bow to popular opinion), but I'd heard he makes great pipes and the price on this one was right enough. The seller just listed it as "LPI," apparently not knowing what it was (the pipe bag I bought from another seller).
As many of you know, I collect Elliott Nachwalter and Briar Workshop pipes. Cooke used to work with Nachwalter at different stages -- and some of the pipes that say Pipeworks or Briar Workshop were actually made by Cooke, not Nachwalter. I have a suspiciously straight and well-made pot from "Briar Workshop" that is marked with a "C," but I don't really know. The main reason I wanted this pipe is because of the place it has in pipe making history and because of the Vermont connections. I used to live in Vermont and I was intrigued by the connection to the late Barry Levin (also of Vermont), who invented the original Frog Morton/Craftsbury line from McClelland.
It's a good smoking pipe so far -- I only had a few minutes to test it out, though. I do appreciate the nice comments.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very nice pipe, Pitch. I actually like the finish better on yours than the blasts J.T. is doing now. The ferrule is a nice accent as well. Is the stem rubber or lucite?
Thanks, roth. You know you're just encouraging the mob with talk like that, though.
The stem is lucite, thank goodness. I wasn't up for polishing another rubber stem.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've heard of these pipes, but have NEVER seen one. This is a REAL find, and I think it looks like a very minute blast, but I'm sure it looks even better in person.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitch, great looking pipe, thanks for the history lesson, very interesting. It sure looks like a good looking blast to me. I hope you love the way it smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.