PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've always been intrigued by cased pipe sets, especially older ones. Thanks to Marty Pulvers for giving me a great price on this set that I found on his site. I have never owned a Weber pipe before, but my wife liked the looks of this set, plus I've never heard bad things about Weber pipes. These pipes aren't what you'd call collectors items, or high grades, but pipe sets don't seem to be all that common. I guess they are chunky Rhodesians, or maybe Bullcaps, whatever, they needed just a little polish and wax, and wow, what interesting looking pipes! Judging by the look of the case, I would guess they were made somewhere between 1940 and 1960. I have no idea of their age, but they smoke really great, with a wide bowl and open draw. My wife likes bent pipes so I will use the straight one most of the time, but we'll probably switch pipes occasionally. :wink:
img_0688-600x486.jpg

img_0689-600x454.jpg

img_0696-600x314.jpg

img_0695-600x328.jpg

img_0697-600x421.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Rhodesian would be my guess. Bull caps are not as heavy or rugged. See the pipe at the bottom just below the large bent Mountbatten of my pipe post... It is a typical bullcap or so I am told. Really nice set.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Orley:
Those are gorgeous! Similarly styled. Cased. Thick walled. Open draw. From one of the great U.S. pipe houses.

Brother, I'd collect pairs like yours all day long and twice on Sunday.
Every Yankee pipe smoker who enjoys U.S. pipe history should own and smoke at least one of the following in his or her lifetime: Weber, Ehrlich, Edwards, vintage Kaywoodie & Dr. Grabow and you might as well chuck in an L.L. Bean, too. Eighty years ago our production pipes were every bit as good as any chunk of similar briar coming out of Europe.
You killed this purchase, Agnostic. I'm truly happy for your find.
Fnord

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree Jim, these seem to be rather special Webers. Not having owned one before, I didn't really know what to expect, but my wife and I have both smoked a couple of bowls so far and were surprised how well they smoke. She said she likes it better than she thought she would.
I also believe you're right about older U.S. made pipes, as I have been smoking quite a few of them for years and find I smoke them as much as any other pipes I have. Haven't tried an Ehrlich or Edwards yet, but there's still time.... :mrgreen:

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Orley, I did not realize they are Webers. My 2 Webers are fantastic smokers. As good as any of my pipes. And solid, well made with great grain and zero fills. Looking forward to hearing about your first smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.