PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've always wanted to fly like Superman. When I was younger, I would fall asleep and dream I could fly.
Several years ago I began lessons in a helicopter after being a passenger in a one on a tour in Alaska. Even though the view was amazing, the helicopter fascinated me and when I got home, I started lessons in Danbury, Ct.
14 hours of flight time when it dawned on me that not only was it the most difficult hobby I've ever attempted, and even if I was coordinated enough to finally learn the devil machine, there was nothing I could do with it. The money for each hour was so high, well, I just let it go.
Yesterday I tried my first flight in a glider in Long Island, NY. I first went to the airport and the owner had me attempt to fit in a sample glider. I'm 6'3", and at the weight limit for gliding. Sitting in the tiny cockpit was a bit daunting. Well, to be honest, fear ran through me and unfortunately, he was booked until the afternoon for the next available flight.
I drove back to the house and the fear was mounting in me. I knew that if I didn't book 3:30 pm, I would torture myself all week that I didn't do it. It was so easy to back out. Hey, I don't really need to do this, right? Life will go on fine. What's the difference??
I had to do it. I called and made the appointment and drove back. Waiting at the airplane hanger for my next turn, I met some folks from different walks of life. One guy training on the glider was a professional helicopter pilot who flew people out from NYC to the Hamptons. He was training on a glider for the fun of it. (he flew jets, too)
My turn. Drive out to the tarmac in a rinky dink busted down van (inspiring confidence in me, right?) Get to the glider to meet the trainer. My first impression of him was something between the captain of the boat in the movie "Jaws" and the drunken mate from the movie "The Deep". Turned out he was nothing like that, but clearly a no nonsense sort of guy. But, I was scared, so everything was slightly exaggerated.
We examine the glider and he starts with the aerodynamics of the thing. I was trying to listen but couldn't really concentrate-most likely a combination of my anxiety and his mumbling.
I meet the pilot of the tow plane, (another character from some movie somewhere) and we hook up the glider to the plane with a cable that takes the glider student and trainer up to 5,000 feet, release the tow, and then... you are surrounded by air. Complete silence except for the wind. I made some turns, did some other very beginning exercises, and then we landed.
It was an amazing experience. I can't tell you guys how happy I was that I didn't postpone it until next week or some future time.
I'm considering lessons to become a glider pilot, but, we'll see. No rush.

Awesome!! As a kid we lived next to a small town airport for a few years and my dad took lessons but never finished, but it quickly became a fascination with me. I've never taken lessons, but after going up with an uncle that was going to take me on a tandem parachute jump, I quickly learned that I was scared crapless of heights. I never knew it, till I got up there. I wouldn't let go of my seat the whole time and nearly blacked out. Now, I can't even get close to the window of tall buildings or watch videos from high places without getting anxiety. But, that's ok, there's plenty of things I can still do here on the ground :wink:
Sounds awesome though, and good for you for doing this. I read a whole bunch of Richard Bach books about flying and still have that seed of fascination. I just don't have the nerves to do it though.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Michael
Thanks for the encouragement.
I completely relate to your feelings about this. Standing next to a full length window in an extreme high rise office building where my wife works can often make my knees wobble.
It's just different for me in a plane.
I draw the line with parachute jumping! LOL

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
No damned way would I get in a glider. My Father wanted me to learn to fly. At 21 I was packed off to the local airbase that had actually been a fighter base during WW1 when they worked out how to shoot down Zeppelins. The flying instructor was WWII fighter pilot and the training machine was a Tiger Moth which is made out of wood and doped canvas. I duly turned up and the instructor asked me if I enjoyed riding or motorcycles. I indicated that the latter was what I was rather good at, pointing at my leaky Brough Motorcycle sitting by one of the huts. He beamed at me with the words 'natural' and there followed five days of theory and at the end of which you were presented with your log book to record your flying hours. Suffice to say after just one flight in this thing with the instructor sitting behind you I decided this was really not for me under any circumstances!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Trailboss
Thanks for posting that video. I think that in about a million years I would have the balls to even think about doing that.
So far since Sunday, all I've been thinking about in my free time is getting back into that glider and trying it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.