PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2014
Here is my first Dunhill. It has some spider webbing in the chamber, SP assures me it will work as long as I start smoking the pipe with care. I purchased this for $375. New, it is worth over $700.
004-002-8330.jpg

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I love the Cumberlands. As SP said, smoke it carefully and once you get some cake it should be fine. I have some estate with spiderwebbing and I coated it with pipe mud, some I just smoked lightly for the first few bowls. They all turned out fine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Really nice looking. It's a piece of change, but you'll smoke it for many moons.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Congrats tucson that's a beauty. Looks like a pretty thick walled bowl. Smoke a while to build up some cake for protection and it should be good to go for years to come. Enjoy!

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Congrats on a beautiful pipe sir, and I agree with all the others, smoke her slow for a few bowls to get some cake in her, and she'll serve you well.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Beautiful Cumberland Tuscon, They are my favorite Dunhill's by far and one day i will own one. The one Dunhill i have, a 1975 Root Briar 511 apple, came with some (not aforementioned by the seller until i received the pipe and contacted him) spider webbing inside the chamber of the bowl. After speaking with the seller as well as one of the pipe experts at my local b&m and showing it to him personally, they both said the same thing in that it would be fine and no problem at all. They said to just smoke slow for 10 to 15 bowls and build a cake over the webbing and it should be fine. Well, that was over 6 months ago and i've put a lot more bowls through it than that and it still smokes like a champ and they were both right, it hasn't affected anything at all. The webbing is caked over now and it is a wonderful pipe with no issues.
If/when i do sell the pipe though, i will put the spider webbing that is there in the description. I thought it was kind of shady that the seller didn't include that in the description and did not show detailed enough pics so you could tell. And it was obvious that they were there, as soon as i inspected the bowl i noticed. Honestly, i probably wouldn't have bid on it if it was apparent from the pics and included in the description. A seller might get away with that shit for a while, but eventually they are going to get called out and have a tarnish on their reputation.
Anyways, sorry for the rant and derail, congrats on that beauty and i wish you many many many great smokes from it!

tucson

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2014
I am now smoking my first Dunhill. I thought this day would never come. But plastic bends (credit card).

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I remember that pipe. Should serve you well for years. We DO note in the condition statement if the previous owner (s) got carried away and charred the chamber. Like the others said, smoke slow, build some cake. Hopefully I am not too late in advising to NOT start with quarter bowls of rather moist baccy.

I bought a Dunny with some charring in the chamber myself from SPC, a Gp 5 Cumberland with bamboo. It's a huge bowl by my standards. I smoke Royal Yacht exclusively in it, lots of Vitamin N so that lasts about 3 hours in 15-20 minute spurts. No ill effects or funny taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.