PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Recently I decided it was time for another pipe to add to my collection. I went to my local pipe shop with an open mind, but I was leaning towards an estate. This pipe shop has over 2000 pipes so usually this process isn't quick for me. I decided to start in the estate cabinets and I found three Comoy's pipes priced at 50.00! The guys at the pipe shop explained that a customer sold his collection of a few dozen Comoy's and that they were slowly being cleaned and sold. I couldn't resist this beautiful wide chamber billiard and I left the store with my first English pipe and a couple oz of Dunhill EMP. Ive smoked the thing twice and im floored by how well it smokes. Even aromatics smoke dry as a bone! I don't get it. There's not even any cake buildup at the moment. Are these 60's ers Comoy's pipes really that exceptional? If so I may have to go get another! Anybody else have a Comoy's that smokes like a dream?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As near as I can tell, the "old" Comoys are quite revered. There seems to be a big disagreement whether the ones made since the move back to France (from U.K.) are as good, or good at all. But this trove of cleaned up estate pipes sounds like a sure bet. Give them a reasonable going over and buy a few more, and I think you will get an incredible value. You might get the shop to call you when they put new ones up for sale, to get a first (or early) look at them. Sounds like the catbird seat for estate Comoys.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Billkay, you have no idea. Jon's Pipe Shop in Champaign Il is like the pipe Mecca. Excellent house blends, bulks, tins, and a lounge. I don't want to be an advertiser here, but there's no such thing as a quick trip to Jon's.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never smoked a Comoy, but know plenty of guys who swear by them. It does not surprise me that your pipe smokes dry as many of the old great houses produced great smoking pipes. My Barlings have a wide shank opening which accounts for the dry smokes they are. I have smoked older British pipes where the shank dimension was too narrow and the pipe smoked wet.
If you love how this one smokes and fro 50.00, you should go back to your b/m and buy as many as you can. Congrats on finding something you really love.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Love my old Comoy's pipes. Those and my GBD's are the best of the old Brit wood.

I've kept 5 but gave away 6 to good pipe friends on the forums.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
When we say "larger airway", about what diameter are we looking at? And does it carry through the stem, or just the stummel airway?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jon's sounds wonderful!
We have a number of Comoys fans here, check out this thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-off-your-comoys-pipe-here?replies=40#post-930803

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Gotcha. 3mm being roughly equivalent to 3/32", that's still pretty narrow to me. When I have to increase the airway diameter on a troublesome pipe, 5/32" seems to be the magic number. Bear in mind, I would not do that to a Comoys, I would just sell it off instead of tampering with it. On a Grabow or a basket-level pipe, though, I tweak and tune until they're exactly how I like them.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
3mm is in fact narrow. I typically ream my stummels to a 5/32 and I use a tapered bit in the stem to bring it from a 5/32 to a 1/8 at the end near the fishtail. However, I wouldn't dare change anything on a pipe made by a company that's been making pipes for almost 200 years like Comoy's. Surely they know magic ratios of bowl diameter to draft hole diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.