PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've had a 2007 bag of Stonehaven in my cellar since 2007, and I've been avoiding it. I tend to steer clear of higher-nicotine blends. . . and my experience with Solani's Aged Burley Flake, a blend I'd been assuming was similar, was just "okay." For me, it was too nic-rich, which gave it a harshness I didn't always appreciate.
Last week, I decided to open the bag for some trading here. And yesterday I finally decided to actually try Stonehaven for myself.
I loaded up a pipe I dedicate to burley and VA/burley flakes, and cautiously lit the bowl. Still afraid of the hit that was going to come, I smoked very slowly, almost fearfully. But then: Oh. My.
This was good stuff. Rich, mellow, soft, and surprisingly sweet. This was unlike Aged Burley Flake in just about every way. So I tried exhaling through my nose, my method of seeing just how powerful the nicotine is (because high-nic blends really irritate my nose). It was absolutely fine, as if I were smoking anything but a Virginia/burley blend. I don't know how much of this was due to age and how much is just typically "Stonehaven." But I totally get what all the fuss is about.
This is wonderful tobacco. It's the fourth Esoterica blend I've tried, and the fourth one I've thoroughly enjoyed. Now, if only it were actually available for purchase. . .
Bob

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'm hoping to get a bowl in today and see just how good it is! I thought Solani Aged Burley was good but not quite what I expected and a little harsh as well eleven though it had about two years of age on it. How did you prepare the Stonehaven? Any drying time? Ill post my thought here as well.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
tjameson:
No drying time whatsoever. It's a very soft flake, very easily broken up if you roll it around a bit.
I'd love to hear what you think of it!
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried Stonehaven a couple of months ago and fell in love. To me it is nothing like the Solani ABF which I am not a fan of. The flavor is awesome and I don't find it strong at all. It is a shame that they do not make nearly enough to satisfy the demand. The one blend that is similar in my opinion is Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. The ODF is a little smokier and not quite as sweet, but they could be brother and sister. I have found it pretty moist so I cube cut it and then let it dry for an hour or two. I have been chasing this for a couple of months now and it is very difficult to find. All of mine has been acquired through trades as I have not seen if for sale at any of my sources since I began looking for it.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Cube cut with my Opinel Carbon No. 8. Drying for an hour and then loading it up in the Tsuge Dublin, this pipe is getting nothing but the good stuff!

image_zps9eb0a257.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tjameson, I love that pipe, Dublins are one of my favorite shapes and the Stonehaven should do great in that. The problem is going to be when you love this stuff, then you too will be chasing it like the rest of us.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'm smoking it right now. It's very cool and dry. I e picked out note of dry dark chocolate, cherrywood, leather, and a little smokey sweetness. Very full mouthfeel even with very slow sipping. The flavors definitely become stronger as the bowl is smoked down. At one point I felt like every other sip was a different flavor. Very interesting smoke thanks again Bob for letting me try some great tobacco that would have otherwise been very difficult to find!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My pleasure!
BTW, much as I love supporting the site sponsors -- and I order a lot of tobacco -- today I was able to score 3 bags of Margate by simply calling one of my favorite pipe shops. While they didn't have any Stonehaven :( I was very pleased to get another blend I love and one that's currently out of stock across the Internet. If you're willing to put in the time and do a little research, you may get lucky too. (And this B&M doesn't know me personally; I only have the chance to shop there about once a year, since they're about six hours away.)
Bob

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
This may sound strange but I'd like to add that several times I got a nose with just the taste of great tobacco, almost sweet juicy tobacco like Redman. I've smoked a lot of pure tobaccos that didn't have a rich tobacco taste like this it was very enjoyable.

Dec 24, 2012
I have not yet tried Stonehaven, and I don't want to hijack your thread, but to pick up on Harris' point, why can't we buy this stuff? I haven't seen this stuff for sale for months. Are they purposefully trying to keep it scarce? If not, why the shortage? Is there some magic ingredient, like petrified Mammoth testicle perhaps, that is just impossible to find? Seems like they are leaving a lot of cash on the table, and people are starting to get sick and tired of waiting and our out finding (and falling in love with) other blends like ODF. I just don't understand the marketing strategy.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
My jealousy is in full swing. I have been trying to find this stuff for over a year. I have happened on all the other hard to get tobaccos except for this one. Enjoy!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you have some older blends to trade, a member is currently offering pounds of Stonehaven for trade in the Tobacco Trades forum.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
peckinpahhombre wrote:
If not, why the shortage? Is there some magic ingredient, like petrified Mammoth testicle perhaps, that is just impossible to find?
The short answer is that you're talking about a very small company producing something for a relatively very small market, using agricultural ingredients that vary from crop to crop and are in varying degrees of short supply around the world. It's not a "marketing strategy."
Bob

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Stonehaven is my go to blend!! I have 2 lbs in the cellar guarded by some of Sauron's nastiest Orc's, .....

Status
Not open for further replies.