PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive started doing monthly orders now saving a little on shipping and applying it to a bit more tobacco. Bedsides my regulars I got my first tin of
...Dunhill The Royal Yacht.
Pure Virginia with a real Nicotine Punch. Oh yeah! This is the strongest Va Ive smoked so far. Seems to get really bad reviews or really good. Looks like a regular for the late night rotation for me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Welcome to the "We Love Royal Yacht" club. Like most yacht clubs, it has a dress code: you must smell like burned Royal Yacht at all times.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
You mean Royal Yuck? Actually I've never smoked it. Not sure I want to after what I've heard about it.
Is it as bad as some people say?

It's interesting how you only ever hear love or hate stories for this blend. No grey areas at all. Put me in the love category. The flavor is unreal. If someone was going to design a strong blend especially for the Virginia or VaPer lover, this one is it. And, my whole family loves the aroma.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've owned a tin for a year or two. I like strong blends, but how I will do with the "secret sauce" flavoring, I don't know. I mostly smoke non-aromatics.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
It seems to what is called a "marmite" Tobacco! :)
Marmite_500g_450_tcm28-293449.jpg

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've yet to try the stuff. Just as I get interested I'll read hateful reviews and swerv at the last minute. Hey cosmic, if you think about it, please bring some for the next meeting! I'd love to finally sample some!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I haven't tried it yet either. I bought two tins year or two ago, but have been wanting to let it age some before giving a first attempt at it. I love burley so it would be great if it was just up my alley. I even have a Yachtsman pipe to smoke it in, when that time comes.

It's a straight Virginia from what I understand and taste. But, the African and dark Virginias are much stronger varieties. Another strong but un-topped Virginia is GH&co Birds Eye Virginia. It's about like a cigar, flavorful with a nic kick. It comes in a shag cut, so pack it tight and smoke it sloooooooow.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Royal Yacht is awesone. I don't smoke it often, but when I crack a tin, it doesn't last long.
I hear the Murray's version was much stronger than the Orlick interpretation. I've always been tempted to buy a old tin and compare.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The topping, MSO, is somewhat controversial but I find it inoffensive. Kind of plum with a citrus undertone, or maybe just bitter; I don't know. It evaporates a lot during the first few days a tin is open and burns off quickly in the bowl. I would not consider RY an aro for this reason, unless we also consider lakelands, University Flake etc to be aros.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
It's a treat for me - I don't have it often. But when I do, :worship:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The first tin I got made me highly skeptical. The tin note smelled like a raisin, and the leaf looked like it might have once gone through a lawnmower. The first bowl was also sort of bracing, with a strong tarry tobacco taste and a fruit burning somewhere in the mix. I did enjoy the smoothness of the smoke and its strength, great for early mornings when the world seemed to move in slow motion. Over time, especially as the tobacco lost some of its topping, it grew on me and when the tin was done, I realized I would miss it horribly. $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.