PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have many, many pipes. All different prices, shapes, sizes and brands. Some are new, some are old, some are relics. I have totally enjoyed my pipes for years and have defended the smoking qualities of more than a few, because they are considered "Low End". To many people who have scorned low end pipes, I never agreed. I will continue to love ALL my pipes, and strive to continue to add to my collection.
I have some of the best Brigham's that one can buy. I have an African Meer. I have a Handmade Sven Lars Freehand. I have a nice Savinelli Pot with a Cumberland Stem. I have a Riband Panel Comoy, a short Comoy Pot, and a Comoy, Straus, Private Stock. I have a Butz Choquin. The list goes on for quite awhile longer but....It is now, at this point in my rambling, that I must eat just a wee bit of Crow.
I have restored a 1953 Patent Dunhill Tanshell, that I picked up for a song last week. Under normal conditions, I would call the restoration complete, but I have elected to finish off the restoration with a Stem Restore Kit from WalkerBriar. It was ordered and is en-route via snail mail. I shall not post the completed pictures untill such time as the stem is glossed and the bowl shines with a coat or 2 of the Carnuba Wax.
However, yesterday I was having a smoke, and happened to look at that Dunhill sitting on the shelf waiting for my Kit to arrive. Not sure why, but I was overcome with the urge to smoke it. I fought it for a couple hours, but in the end, my will power failed me. I loaded it up with a mixture of 1-Q and Walnut, with a couple pinches of 1792 Flake just for good measure. In 17 years of pipe smoking, I have never smoked a pipe with this amount of smoothness, comfort and ease. After the bowl was done, I wiped it down, ran a cleaner through it and put it in the rack to await my Kit from WalkerBriar. Did it stay there? Nope! it did not. Tonight I filled it up with Penzance and 1-Q and fired it up. Dam, as much as I love my other pipes, I just don't want to smoke anything but this old Dunhill.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Those moments are what it's all about. The sat one I can remember was when I tried 1-Q for the first time in a Peterson I used to have. We're always searching for that magic moment. Congrats and good luck finding your next.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I recently got a 1969 Dunhill and if I'm home and not smoking a meerschaum, I'm smoking that pipe! It's just solid, consistent and reliable.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Thats almost to a "T" my first experience with a charatan... it's like hearing led Zeppelin for the first time haha, you cant get enough

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Love the story! Owning an older Dunhill, heck any would do, is on my bucket list.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That sort of says it all, doesn't it? I am right there with you, 70 pipes and most of them from the bottom end. Hope one day to find that old Dunhill myself.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
So much for making a sizable profit, sounds like the Dunnie is here to stay :)

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Congrats fisher, I also ran across a Dunhill Root Briar for a song. Upon getting it home I checked, and couldn't believe how lucky I had been. It is a 1962 group 4 billiard, and that is my birth year. She cleaned up fairly well, but I don't think she has a Dunhill Stem. However you are right on how very smooth they smoke.
I too will love all my other pipes, but this one will always be special.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@ oldredbeard
Indeed mate, that is a fine pipe you have there. I am amazed at how much it resembles my Loewe's & Co. pipe. It could be a twin except for the Dunhill White Dot.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have always fought the urge to consider pipes that cost that much, but I ate the same amount of crow after I bought my one and only Dunhill:
dscf1468-600x323.jpg

It never fails to provide a consistent trouble free smoke and it loves latakia and deep dark flue cured pressed virginias.
Glad to hear that you are on what I like to refer to as the pipe and tobacco magic carpet ride. I am on one myself right now smoking Esoterica Margate in a Luciano apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.