PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
So I have had a few pipes for over ten years now and I can say the most "attention" I have ever given them from a cleaning standpoint was running some pipe cleaners through them. I decided to give about half of mine a very thorough cleaning last week but was unhappy with the stems on these two. The first is an Italian briar no name (it just has Italy stamped on it)and the second is a Benton. Here are the before pics.
The Italian:
0021-600x450.jpg

0031-450x600.jpg

The Benton:
0052-600x450.jpg

0071-450x600.jpg

And here are the after pics.
The Italian:
010-600x450.jpg

0111-450x600.jpg

The Benton:
012-600x450.jpg

013-450x600.jpg

I soaked both stems in Oxy Clean for about 18 hours and then rinsed them thoroughly. I then ran some bristled pipe cleaners through them and was AMAZED at how much gunk came out AFTER I gave them what I thought was a thorough cleaning with Baccardi 151 with Q tips and pipe cleaners. I then wet sanded them with 000 steel wool and finished up with some magic eraser. I lightly "waxed" them with Lip Medex (by Blistex) and applied a small, circular motion to it with a clean cotton cloth (think spit shine without the spit). I planned on hitting them with some Tripoli wax and my new buffing wheel but other duties call today.
I know these aren't perfect, but I think they look a LOT better than they did.
Thanks to Pruss and Hfearly for some guidance on this. I plan on working further into restoration/refurbing, but this was my first step.
I would appreciate any guidance on my methodology, the look, the technique, to assist with reducing my learning curve on this new endeavor. I do plan on obtaining some mesh pads up to 12000 grit to get that super glass shine.
Thanks,
Dan

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Great job! You'll like the micro mesh when you get them, they do a wonderful job.
Restorations are a slippery slope though, let us know when you have a couple dozen estates waiting to be restored. That's when you've arrived. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You did a good job, buy some cheap Chapstick, look at ingredients use the one with the most salylic acid content and after smokeing butter button up, leave a couple hrs or overnight , wipe before smokeing and they will shine and not look grotty. The old Cajun. PS sometimes I take the stem off and butter the whole stem

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for the feedback gents.
Ghost - I am thinking I will be "there" sooner than I want to but just baby steps for now. Once I feel that I have a decent handle on the stems I will move into full resto. I have been reading a lot here and on reborn pipes so I am taking it all in. I will probably try to snatch some estates on Ebay to give me something to work on. I figure if I junk it up I won't set me back too much $$$

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That makes sense Roth. These are two of my oldest pipes and I just did this for me. I think if I get into resto I am not sure that I will then want to sell them. I think I would get more "reward" knowing that I am now smoking a swan that used to be an ugly ducking, if you get my point :)

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Sweet. Any pics? How detailed did you go, meaning did you use a buffing wheel or just hand polish?

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Nice job, they look great. I want to say Amen on the Obsidian Oil. It will help seal the pores and preserve the shine. I put just a little bit on the stem and rub it in. Let it sit and then wipe with a soft cotton cloth. It will postpone the next time you have to overhaul them.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
They look good, and will look great after the buff. I do mostly just like you said you did, but I only do the oxy soak for 2 to 3 hours. Then wet sand with 1000 then 2000 then 3000 grit, and buff with tripoli. makes them look virtually new.
I don't think you'll have any problems with full restos, and agree I enjoy smoking the beautiful swans, that were ugly ducklings. Congrats.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Yaz those look good.
Stems are always my least favorite cleaning part. Gives me more incentive to take care of them.
It is a slippery slope. I've got some incoming pipes I cant wait to get too.

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Yaz, great job. I have recently started venturing not pipe restoration. One of the things I have put into my "tackle box" 1000/1500/2000 wet grit sandpaper. I will ask them in a oxyclean solution and I will start with the 1000 grit and work my way up to the 2000. Once I get all the oxidation off I will then hit them on the buffing wheel with some tripoli wax. Makes them shine real nice. Envision what you want the end product to be a you will make it happen. If you are not sure this forum will definitely have the answer.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
your pipes look good sir. just a side note, after the Tripoli application try white diamond then carnuba. I also do the oxyclean solution, then micromesh pads. good luck.
mike.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Looks like a good show, yaz. (I love the shape of that Italian.)
I've used a Magic Eraser in the kitchen, but didn't think of using it on stems. I'll have to try it!
My usual grubby vulcanite stem restoration is to drop the whole stem into a small glass of Clorox bleach for a few minutes. Watch the tiny bubbles as it works. Scrub the bad discoloration with a toothbrush and Clorox. Rinse thoroughly in warm tap water. Dry. The bleach usually removes all discoloration, leaving the bit black but DULL. I then use Flitz metal polish on a cloth for hand polishing (I don't have a wheel.) After considerable effort, it looks shiny. Use alcohol to remove any polish left (cleaners used inside).
Once the stem is looking good, I use a Handy Wipe impregnated with Briar Pipe Wipe spray, rubbing the bit (especially where the mouth touches it)... after EVERY smoke. This goes a long way in keeping the stems shiny and black.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Jimbo. I just bought a cheapo (>$20) Aluminium polishing set from Harbor Freight that goes in the end of my cordless drill. Works pretty well for my below average needs.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
yaz, they look good.
I keep my stems at least reasonably clean to avoid the taste from oxidized stems.
When I have the time, I do the full blown polishing with Oxyclean and micromesh pads. I've also used Novus nr 3 and 2 scratch remover with good results in getting a high polish.
A coat of Obsidian oil will put a further shine on the stems you're showing here.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for all of the tips guys.
I plan on getting some of those finer grit pads for my next go around. Of course I will be giving my pipes more attention after each smoke so hopefully they wont ever get to that state again.
I have also acquired a buffing kit for my drill and plan on trying the waxes that many of you have described. Seems I can't get the freaking screw off of the bit that holds the pads. Typical.
Roth - +1 on your comment my friend. I have never been so active on a site and in one month feel that I have made friends the world over. Everyone shares their experiences and offers great guidance. It would have taken me YEARS to figure out tobaccos, cleaning, resto, pipes, etc that you can just get here. I definitely have pulled up my chair, poured myself a drink, fired up a bowl, and I do feel welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.