PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi hi,
So in another thread, I mentioned ordering 12lb 8oz of C&D Tobacco from Smokingpipes. It came dry and I lamented having to rehydrate. Others on there mentioned dry tobacco as well and that prompted this post.
None other than the General Manager PM'd me to make it right and asked me to connect with his Customer Service folks to see if there was some way to fix it.
I called up SP.Com and was speaking with Keith Tony, who has worked for C&D in the past. He explained the company's position is to "Sell tobacco, not water" and as such their tobacco will often be sent a bit dry.
I then mentioned that one bag was extra crispy, but some of them were closer but not able to jar. When I mentioned my blending tobaccos being in between, but closer to crispy he said this, (Paraphrasing):
'blending tobaccos are shipped dry on purpose every time. this is to make consistent precise blending easier to attain when doing home blending'.
This makes TOTAL sense to me.
This also makes me feel a bit sheepish as 5.5lb of this order ended up being 'blending tobacco' (I swear I didn't know about the 2lb of VA and the 2lb of Izmir). I bought the Izmir because Rothnh used to rave about it so much. And he was right, btw. The stuff is GREAT, but I digress.
I want to apologize if anyone thought I was being too critical of smokingpipes.com.
I want to THANK Josh Burgess (GM there) for his timely response to this and his unceasing efforts to make it right.
I also want to thank Keith Tony at Smokingpipes.com for being an all around great guy and teaching me a lot in one phone call.
Finally I want to thank you for reading this, because it means the word is getting out there.
~Mike

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the post and SPC for the tobacco shipping water content info. I went and looked and part of my order was blending tobacco(Izmir). The Byzantium was moist and the other dry but not crispy. Live and learn.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ooh. To clarify. It was from his time at C&D when they said that. That is not SPC's position. I can't fault it, since I have now learned the ease with which I can rehydrate even that amount. lol.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Again its not that companies never have problems its how they handle those problems that matters sound like they did a really good job of looking after you.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm guessing here but if C&D is adament on not using PG in their blends (which I applaud) then it's a given that they'll ship drier leaf then what most of us are used to recieving, think Sam Gawith. I personally have no problem with that if it's the intent. As stated in the other thread my boss has been ragging on the product because he feels it needs to have some moisture, at least enough that it isn't crumbling into dust as it's handled. The same stuff goes on in the cigar side where there's issues with product that must be dealt with before it's placed in the humidor. I see both sides I suppose but agree that if a retailer orders a bulk tobacco order it should be in the condition it needs to be for resale. Please don't take any of this the wrong way, it's just my opinion and interpretation of what I see on the retail side.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I totally see that. I did this more for the average consumer who may succumb to the sirens call of 20% off and buy 10 lb not knowing it may need a bit of water.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I've had nothing but great customer service from Laudisi/smokingpipes. When I received my Kiribi pipe lighter it was having issues lighting. Similarly to your story, I received a message from a staffperson who offered to pay for it to be shipped back and the situation remedied. Thankfully that evening the lighter worked through some sort of air pocket or blockage and has worked perfectly ever since! I was thankful for their offer though, it seems rare that companies will stand behind their product to that extent in any industry.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Mistakes happen, no matter how well you command your business. It's what you do when things go wrong that matters and SPC has always shown themselves to be a great business IMHO.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Gotchya, one of the great things about this forum, information has a way of zooming into these pages and everyone benefits, well, at least the ones that click the "buy it" button fast enough. Lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
None other than the General Manager PM'd me to make it right and asked me to connect with his Customer Service folks to see if there was some way to fix it.
This is what customer service is all about. This man takes the time to read the original thread and then contacts the customer to make things right. Russ at PC does this, Rich at 4noggins does this and I cannot remember any other of our sponsors who do this but I am sure there have been others. What this shows me is that we as a group have some power in the pipe world. Retailers care what we write and care what are opinions are. They understand the buying power that we have as a group, and they bend over backwards to make us happy.
We should always come here and discuss any types of issues we have with a retailer( always with respect) so they continue to monitor this site looking for ways to keep us happy. Well done wfbayne and well done SP.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I applaud Wyfbane for following up on his OP and telling us the rest of the story. I've had the feeling some new members have signed up just to have a forum to whine about a vendor (sorry for the pun) Sometimes these vendors are our sponsors. I'm as suspicious of those posts as I am when the first post is a for-sale solicitation.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A positive report pertaining to the comments I made on the C&D blends we recently recieved. I was contacted directly by Joe at Laudisi and after speaking with him on the phone I have no doubt that any future deliveries that we may or may not experience issues with will be handled directly and promptly by them. I relayed the dialog of our conversation to my store owner and he's satisfied with it as well.
It's pretty obvious that some of the best customer service one could ever hope for both the individual and the retailer. Glitches can happen to any product and although what we experienced wasn't serious it's nice to know someone has your back.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Cosmic, I have liked or better every tobacco I have tried except 1792. I may only like C&D bright Virginia Ribbon, but for $36.82 for 2 lb, I doubt I will regret the purchase...

Status
Not open for further replies.