PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
005-1.jpg

0032.jpg

The new addition to my little collection of Peterson System pipes. Darwin Premier Grade B42 smooth. Check out that flame!

006.jpg

007.jpg

The B42 is a good sized pipe. The last photo shows the Darwin with my 317 for size comparison. I've not smoked it yet I'll just continue to stare in awe and admire it's pristine condition for a while. :D

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Wow! That's a big 'un. Good looking too. Must take a couple hours to get through a bowl in that giant. I envy you, sir.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys, One always takes a little chance when ordering out but I think I lucked out with this one. Nope still not smoked it. Don't worry the longest I've ever gone is a couple days without smoking a new one. The time must be right and like Rigmedic says I'll have to find a couple hours to set aside for that very first go! I can't even decide which blend is going to go in it yet.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
I have to agree with you Bentmike. The first smoke in a new pipe must be just so. I'll wait several days if I just don't have the time to do it properly.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Darwin Update:
Today I set out some 7 Seas Royal for about three hours to dry. (Yes my supply is a little moist) After work I filled the Darwin almost to the top and enjoyed a slow 40 minute smoke with just a couple relights. Given a little drying time I really like the 7 Seas Royal.
The Chamber measures 21mm wide (13/16") X 44mm deep (1 3/4"). While that is bigger than my other pipes I wouldn't really call it cavernous although it was pretty much required to use a large wooden match to relight once I got down near the bottom of the bowl. The impressive part about the pipe is that the wall thickness measures a full 5/8" inches at it's widest about midpoint down the bowl. It barely got warm. the Darwin will be a fine outdoor pipe with plenty of mass to absorb heat on windy days.
The draw seemed just a bit freer than my other Pete's with P-lip bits so another plus in that regard. When I was finished I checked the reservoir for moisture and was suprised to find it was just a bit damp. Especially on cooler days my smaller systems will heat up more and enough condensation builds up in the sump that it can be poured out. (Systems really do work well) I think the Darwin because of it's huge size is an efficient heat sink which keeps the temperture of the briar down in turn limiting the amount of water build up.
Enough technical stuff! The real test was the smoke and I loved it. The Darwin is a monster handful of a pipe but I think I can get used to it. I can see me now kicked back on the patio this summer looking up at the stars and pondering the universe with my new friend Darwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.