My eBay Craziness With Old Vintage Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
...a fool and his money as they say, but dammit I find it hard to resist after having a few really good experiences with the old stuff.
Most especially some Thomson & Porteous that rang my bell like a loud gong,

as written up in this thread,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/smoking-some-65-year-old-scottish-flake-a-group-review
... and seeing a couple of old cutter-tops go up recently I couldn't resist their allure. The auctions ended today and I made out fairly well, $72 for both I reckon is somewhat okay, although I don't know what the tops look like and I noticed rust on the Thistle Flake --- and who the hell knows what kind of aro that Thistle is?!?!?!? I bet nobody does, and I'm hoping with fingers crossed that it ain't a heavy floral, although I suspect it is :crying: It sure does have a pretty label though LOL I think I overpaid a bit for it, but what the hell, this stuff don't come around much...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomson-amp-Porteous-tobacco-Sealed-Thistle-Flake-Aromatic-Pipe-/301266585679?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xIA%252BzkhNJJd6tMb51Xz2HsVb9VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
The Drifter Navy Flake holds much promise if the vacuum ain't been compromised, if both of these have rust pinholes and are dried out I will be crying and crying a big river and drown myself in some Scotch whiskey :crying:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomson-amp-Porteous-tobacco-Sealed-Drifter-Navy-Cut-Pipe-/301266587801?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xIA%252BzkhNJJd6tMb51Xz2HsVb9VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Just home for the weekend and being offline and away from the bay, I went into a frenzy as I usually don't and made another crazy purchase, I had another tin of this era St. Bruno Flake bought a while back when BriarBid was going and smoked a little of it, disappointed that the topping had gone soft and put the rest in a jar, recently I dug up that jar and combined it with some fresh St. Bruno because my stock was getting low and the combo of new with old provided a damn fine smoke of unparalleled quality and I decided I need to source some more older stuff, thus I paid the price for this 100g tin which will probably be dry, these rectangular tins rarely maintain their vacuum, but mixing old with new makes an extra-special magic smoke so out come the dollas...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Bruno-Flake-from-1980-039-s-Sealed-Tin-/221511877394?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xIA%252BzkhNJJd6tMb51Xz2HsVb9VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
The bargain of the bunch ended up being something I bought only for historical value but it turned out that the baccy was in damn fine shape and I'm gonna smoke it up! I'm excited to try it, although from a cursory initial search it seems that this stuff was mostly popular for chewing up North by miners.
I was astounded at what fine condition it was in as I unwrapped the foil!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-vintage-2d-packet-of-Franklyns-Plover-Pigtail-screw-Tobacco-Not-Tin-/390889747460?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xIA%252BzkhNJJd6tMb51Xz2HsVb9VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
These purchases make me feel both elated and exhilarated, but also like an idiot :lol:

...my over-romantic heart cannot be defeated by the logic of my brain!

:twisted:

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
You got a pretty good bargain compared to this Three Nuns:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151370227803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Pipestud is a known good-guy. He does great restorations and has a heavy supply of vintage tobacco.

May 31, 2012
Sable, I agree with the wraith thing, shadows of their former selves, but the old cutter tops seem to preserve stuff pretty well if they don't get the rusty pinholes, I still feel crazy though LOL :lol:
kcvet67 - yeah, those big money auctions make me feel a little better :P

Sobranie and the Nuns always bring the big bucks,

T&P are pretty obscure, but at one point they had good US distribution,

perhaps the 92 year old lady who had these mail-ordered them from George Yale?

This 1942 catalog shows 'em and the Drifter Navy Flake was only 55¢ !!!

http://pipepages.com/pics/gy6.jpg
I didn't expect that 3N auction to go so high, both because Mr. Steve was so honest about the rattle and saying "...and do believe the contents have been compromised", and because it was the Empire Blend which didn't have any perique, they used African leaf innit in place of the Per, but I bet it's still tasty and probably has a good measure of strength too....it had a beautiful looking puffy top too! And the WW2 era label makes it very interesting, they had to preserve paper so they made smaller labels during that time.
The same seller I got the T&P from had 2 more cutter tops, a John Cotton's 1&2 and a Rattray's 7 Reserve, I wasn't watching them so I don't know how much they sold for, but the JC was up to $63 last time I looked...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dude, I don't think you overpaid at all. Those are possibly the last remaining tins in existence. And I bet you'll get far more enjoyment out of that 40 dollar tin than you would from 4 tins, say, of any current production tobacco. And the 30 dollar tin sounds like a steal to me. Just be glad I didn't see them -- I would have bid them even higher!

May 31, 2012
Dude, I don't think you overpaid at all. Those are possibly the last remaining tins in existence. And I bet you'll get far more enjoyment out of that 40 dollar tin than you would from 4 tins, say, of any current production tobacco. And the 30 dollar tin sounds like a steal to me. Just be glad I didn't see them -- I would have bid them even higher!
Thanx mang!

:D
You're right,

I feel better already!
I like how you put it into perspective.

:puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think you did well, Troy. Look at it as going to dinner but lasting a lot longer. Lord knows how many $100 dinners I've had and can't recall as anything special. Enjoy them and the fun you'll have.

May 31, 2012
I think you did well, Troy. Look at it as going to dinner but lasting a lot longer. Lord knows how many $100 dinners I've had and can't recall as anything special. Enjoy them and the fun you'll have.
No doubt!

Well put.

Thanks for that.
It sure sucks that your kids are going to have to attend school eating only crackers and barefoot though.

LOL

:lol:

Seriously made me laff out loud, I can imagine little Jenny telling the teacher after being questioned why she has no shoes "Daddy says that old tobacco tins are just like shoes, you just have to use your imagination - I'm not barefoot, your eyes are naked!"

LOL

...and yeah, the old cutter-top tins sometimes are ridiculous prices.
Thanks for the well wishes,

I hope it's good stuff too!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The same seller has another batch of the cutter tins for sale. In my experience the navy flakes seem to do the best if the tin has no pin holes otherwise you are buying 'mummy dust' that will be un-smokable under any circumstances. The tins definitively look like late 1930/1940s tins but I would certainly give the aromatics a wide birth and I might bid on the navy tin just for fun!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I would certainly give the aromatics a wide birth
I wonder what is meant by "aromatic," though -- probably not anything like Captain Black or chocolate-caramel whatever. But I'm sure it's awful stuff in any case. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd stick with sellers you know, and/or have used before, and trust to some degree. This looks ripe for forgery,

re-sealing old tins, counterfeiting old tins, and so on.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
+1 mso I've bought 'mummy dust' two times now from new sellers that didn't know what they had. Also a degree of foolishness on my part. I definitely stick with more experienced sellers now.
tinner

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If I could afford it I'd buy vintage. Of those tobaccos I've aged in an intact container, all have been superb: Haddos, Cumberland, Wessex Red VA. The only disappointment I've had is Two Friends "Redwood" which I bought when I was flush that had been in an air-depleted sack. Lacking air it didn't age.

Status
Not open for further replies.