Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
As promised, here are the before and after restoration photos of my Dunhill Bulldog that I got from Kevin.
This is when Kevin first gave it to me. I took a photo of the rim.

2010ChicagoPipeShow017.jpg

I cleaned a spot on the rim to show Kevin that the gunk would come off fairly easy. These are the before photos.

Dunhill001.jpg

Dunhill003.jpg

Dunhill002.jpg

After Photos

Dunhill004.jpg

Dunhill006.jpg

Dunhill007.jpg

Dunhill005.jpg

Once I got the gunk off of the rim, I noticed a char spot and some dings. I think that I will leave them there to add some character and history to it.
All in all, I think it cleaned up very nice.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Cleaned up very nicely. What creates that orangish color in the bottom of the bowl? Two estates I bought on eby had a similar color all through them and a sickening odor.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have no idea what causes that color. I am not sure if it is the briar showing through or what.
I do know that this pipe hasn't been smoked in at least 3 years, so maybe the cake is just really dry.
If you get an estate pipe and it smells bad, give it the salt & alcohol treatment.
This one doesn't smell bad at all and I think I am just going to smoke out the old ghosts. It does smell like some type of aromatic used to be smoked in it.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I did the SA on both 2x. They are in great shape right now. Pair of dunhill group 2's, getting ready to sell them.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Bob if those dents on the rim didn't break the fibers you can raise them by laying a damp cloth over them and lightly applying an iron.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Nice restoration Bob. Did you use a buffer to bring back the shine or just spit and polish?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Chuck, I just used spit and Olive Oil on the briar. I don't own a buffer and I don't really like to have my pipes buffed. Buffing can wear down the markings on the pipe and I find that the majority of the time a little elbow grease will clean a pipe just fine with no need of buffing.
I used Walker Briar Works Stem Restore Kit on the stem.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
As to stems...the bleach method works like a charm for me.
As soon as I get an old pipe I dunk the stem and let it soak, ream the bowl, and if it's smelly I wipe it out with Everclear then do the salt and alcohol thing.
Then when they are done, a little elbow grease and tripoli and carnuba buffing (I'm lazier than Bob) and the whole thing is good as new...or at least as good as it's gonna get.
I agree Bob that one wouldn't want to grind the hell out out the pipe on a buffing wheel. I give it a good light once over and try to stay away from stamps and logos.
I think it's amazing really how easy it is to bring these old pipes back. I have an Edward's billiard that was just plain cruddy. I actually lightly sanded it with 600 grit and took most of the old wax off (didnt' get into the stain at all). Then buffed and rewaxed it. Shines like new now.
Great work on this one Bob. Looks great!

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yes. But it has to be a bulldog.
Do NOT use a cat. Their rough tongues will ruin the finish.
RJ

Status
Not open for further replies.