My days of lackadaisical outdoor pipe smoking are ending.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Last night I loaded up my LB gray ghost straight bulldog with a bowl of 8 year old F&T Special Brown Flake and took a glass or Port out to the deck. It was freezing and I only made it through about a third of the bowl before I tapped it out and took my shivering butt back inside. Then when I woke this morning, there was a heavy frost on everything and it was still below freezing. Not much to be done about it for sure but the reality is setting in and to be honest, I don't really wish to return to my non pipe smoking ways this winter like I have done in winters past. My one thought is to start using my garage to smoke in as it is heated. The only issue with this is that my wife has put up with my increased pipe smoking fairly well, considering she more or less hates the smell. I have been brain storming ways to help the situation. I have though of HEPA filters, Lampe Berger... heck, I've even thought about constructing a positive pressure hot room out of Visqueen plastic sheets in the middle of the room. Thoughts and ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Although I do enjoy an aro now and again, they serve as a nice break between Va's and English blends. A winter of Molte Dolce just won't cut it.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Where do you live and is there a garage or space for a shed?

I do have an attached and heated garage but heating a shed at -40f is an impracticality to say the least. I guess my question is, what luck have people had using HEPA filters and Lampe Bergers in their own garage or room? Will it matter or am I fighting a loosing battle. Are there any ideas I am neglecting?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
New wife?
lol!
Winter is tough for me too. My wife will tolerate the occasional smoke inside, but usually I am outside or in the basement. Harris (cigrmaster) used to own a pool hall and swears by 3 stage HEPA filter system - I quote:
I spent 16 years removing smoke from my pool hall and the only system that works is a 3 stage Heppa filter system. You have the Heppa filter then the charcoal filter then the soft pre filter. There are many sizes of these and the more money you spend the more the filter will move the air. You can choose size based on the size of the room. The sizes are usually based on CFM's, 1000, 1500, 2000 and so on.
Another recommendation from the forums:
I smoke indoors every day and every night and when I am done I spray the house with Ozium original scent. I buy it at Walmart in their automotive department where they sell air fresheners. It removes all smells and I have been using it since the 70's.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thanks number six, and Harris by extension (may your eyes heal quickly). It sounds like a serious Hepa will help and I had completely forgotten about Ozium. We used it in college dorms for... eh hem, pipe smoking. I think with the three items (lampe berger included) I should be able to keep both of us happy. The only down side is these serious HEPA's will gut me of a upper end PAD but if it lets me enjoy some Christmas Cheer around Christmas, then the expense will be well worth it.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Forty below is only a normal winter. Bad ones hit -60 but it's been quite a while since we had one of those. I live in the interior of Alaska but there's no chance on me leaving anytime soon. Alaska is a special place and once it gets in your blood, it's hard to live anywhere else. But please... ignore all the reality TV shows about us, in my opinion they never give the real picture of life here. :wink:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I thought I remembered a post where you said you lived in AK. I think it had something to do with shipping for baccy or something. Sorry to hear that its getting that cold already. I hope that the filters, Ozium, and lamps will do the job so the Ms won't make your butt sit out on the ice

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Is it true what they say about the mosquitos in Alaska??
108576.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Yes, yes it is. We lost a small dog to one years ago when it carried her off to it's nest.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
No numbersix... that's a Texas mosquito.
Nope, that would indeed be an Alaskan mosquito. The one pictured was probably just hatched. Get bit by one and you need a freaking blood transfusion!
Other than that, the mere thought of winter approaching is totally depressing. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.