PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzeman

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Hey Everyone,
Other than my introduction, this is my first post to this board, although to be honest I've been lurking for quite some time.
There was a thread not too long ago about the pipe nail, and it got me thinking. I bought my first pipe back in 1995, and with it my first Czech tool. I don't think I've ever owned one of those aluminum nails. What I realized, was that my Czech tool has been a participant in every single bowl I've ever smoked out of a pipe. It is the only item that's remained constant. Pipes, tobaccos, lighters...they all have changed. But my trusty Czech tool has been there for all of it.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience. Not necessarily with a tamper, but have there been any other single items that have been a constant in your smoking experience?
-Zack

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Welcome! I've thought the same about my trusty czech tool as well, such a great piece. I'd say the only other pipe item that I've used as much is a Peterson pipe sock that I use to carry pipes any time I go out.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome to the forums! I too have a fondness for my Czech tool as it has accompanied all along my pipe smoking journey. I'm kind of gadget freak, I have too many knives, multi-tools and flashlights, just ask my wife. Over the years I've had and lost expensive tampers, I don't like that. Aside from my trusty $3.25 Czech tool I have one of those pipe shape tamper/tools that I occasionally use on larger bowls and I have a Peterson pile tool that is basically a piece of junk. It's funny how one can get attached to an inexpensive, inanimate object but given that it's used more than the ball point pens we carry in our pockets, it's kind of self explanatory. If you have to ask, "why" then you can never understand. I'm surprised no ones written a poem lauding the lowly Czech tool!

Jan 8, 2013
Yep, I have had one in my left pocket for years. It switches pants, and even makes its way to my sleep shorts. I don't go anywhere without it.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Wecome zz! For me, no - I lose my Czech tools, so keep one safe as a backup. Then again, I lost my TV remote once living in a one room apartment with no couch and only one chair.

fuelpump

Lurker
Jan 9, 2014
The czech tool is one of the things that I have held on to. I had one and then ordered a pack of ten to make sure that I always have one close. I have given them to new pipe smokers too. The only the thing I have had over the years is a cheap plastic stand that came with a horrible pipe. The pipe is long gone but the stand gets used almost every night to place the pipe in after cleaning.

Seems that the simple things outlast the more elaborate ones.

Brian

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
The Czech tool is so small and convenient I use it always, except when I misplace it or forget to bring it on excursions. I'm contemplating buying a few more to place everywhere so I'll never be without one.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
ODE TO THE CZECH TOOL
Oh poker of the briar pipe

Oh tamper I use day and night

You never fail to be of aid

To pry, to prod and oft abrade

That smoking piece I hold so dear

Whose smoke will make my mind so clear
Oh tool so cheap, but oh so handy

Three tools in one, you are so dandy

Fit neatly in my bag or pocket

waiting for that tar-filled socket

You'll do your job; you won't complain

I use you in the heat and rain
So this, the moral of my ode:

A tool so simple, what the heck

It's only given name is Czech

To use on pipe and tin and burl

Give this small tool a lifelong whirl

Do not lose it, lest you cry

your cake will build, your pipe will die!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Never owned a Czech tool. I have a tamper/pick/scraper/looks-like-a-pocket-knife I've had 40 years, and a couple nice carved briar tampers, one with a pick inside that unscrews, but those stay home. When I travel I take a pipe nail. Well, it started life at Home Depot as a plain old nail :)

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Keep mine on my key ring, always with me. I also have to say I carry the Roger's pipe knife as well.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Non pipe smokers are perplexed by the Czech tool, they ponder and ponder and finally have to give up and ask. I find it to be very convenient, but if misplaced or forgotten, I tamp with my finger and clean out the bowl with a wooden match.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Wow...I'm a dumbass.....I thought you meant one of these. I was wondering how in the hell fadingdaylight carried one of these suckers in his pocket!!! 8O
images

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I keep my czech tool on my keychain as well, it's pretty much the only tool I use. I'll just use a regular nail over a pipe nail or pretty much anything that will do the job. The only other pipe tool I use alot is a straightened out bobby pin to unclog pipes that the czech tool isn't long enough to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.