PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Anyone know how to clean them up? Can't find anything online...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Post pictures, they will help us decide how they can be fixed up. Cobs can be cleaned like any other pipe and should be cared for like a briar if you want them to last. I have heard of them lasting 20-30 years.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Do you mean the exterior?
I don't worry about their appearance too much - in fact I prefer tar stains and charred bowls on my Country Gentlemen - so I'm afraid I can't really relate to your concerns.
Stems are easily replaced, as are the pipes themselves, if you have a problem with them.
I clean them after every smoke with pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol. (Usually wait an hour or so for cooling)
I use alcohol soaked bristle cleaners for the shank until they come back somewhat clean, followed by a dry regular cleaner or two to absorb the moisture...
The stems get a couple alcohol soaked regular cleaners followed by a dry cleaner or two to absorb the moisture.
I usually rub a bit of alcohol on the outside of the stem to remove any residues. I used to soak them in alcohol until I noticed I had trouble with fitting the stems back in place... It's a shame because it exorcised most of the smell/taste that can linger after a normal cleaning.
Anyway, that's probably not what you wanted to hear but I don't worry about looks unless there's damage of some kind.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Holy Crap! Photoman's got a new avatar!!! And he looks cheerful!!! And Completely sodding different!!! :rofl:
& on the Cobs..Yeah, I meant the outside. They're just starting to look grubby now.
simeon, seriously, you do that every time??? Mine are lucky if they glimpse a pipe cleaner every 5-6 smokes...

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Not to hijack the post, but Photoman great avatar! Oh and I just throw my cobs away. Maybe thats just wastefull. Gonna have to try cleaning my newest one.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I too like the charred rim and well worn look on a cob but thats just my humble opinion.
Didn't Realize Photoman had real eyes I thought they were like Terminator eyes behind the raybans 8)

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
If you read my Primer, you'll learn how to clean your finished cobs using spray furniture polish. Plus a lot of other cool tips and pointers.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I tried a MM cob and didnt like it and got rid of it. i think now that I've been smoking for a while and think i grasp the packing methods and what not i will pick up another one at my B&M the next time im there.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
kris,
I do that every single time. I used to be more slack with my cleaning process and I found that it affected my enjoyment in a huge way. I do not like any residual moisture or tars in my stems - it seriously detracts from the flavour experience in my books.
I generally only smoke a cob once a day, then clean it.
Occasionally I will smoke the same blend in it twice without alcohol cleaning on the same day BUT I will definitely use a few dry pipe cleaners to eliminate any spit or particulates lingering in the stem/shank...
Some people probably see it as overkill, but it doesn't appear to have ruined my cobs just yet and it generally delivers a very fresh and clean tasting smoke.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I only have three cobs - 2 Missouri Meerschaum Legends and one MM Washington. The legends are for the rare times I smoke aros and the Washington is for Vapers (and forty briars for my Englishes). I am rather picky about the state of the rims on all my pipes, these included. After years of trying the same cleaning techniques I use on the briars on the cobs unsuccessfully I now just LIGHTLY use some 400 grit sandpaper on the cob rims every so often and they come clean as new. When I eventually breach the plaster treatment I will just replace them.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Not me! I am "colouring" my Missouri Meerschaums with pride!
My Sam's Flake Country Gentleman is darker than all of the rest with a blackened rim and tar/carbon stains progressing downwards into the pockmarked finish. The wear is a true sign of love and appreciation. As long as it still smokes well, I'll be happy. (I'm less pleased that I lost the plastic band so the stem no longer fits tightly)
Would it suit a Dunhill? No. Does it suit a rustic cob? Yes!
There is beauty in imperfection! Google "jolie laide" and see if you agree with me... ;)

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
are like me, my cob looks like hell being stained, burned and chewed.
it still is my fav pipe and have been reaching for it for almost 2 years now. had to put a new ring on the stem with super glue and expand the tenon so it stays together but i keep smoking it. i have another one that is somewhat cleen, but i like the beat up one better.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
my favorite cob was beat to hell and i smoked it to death. thats why we have cobs because they are the ugly stepsister of pipes that keeps the family working. i love cobs some of the best bang for your buck.

Jul 12, 2011
If you want to spruce it up, perhaps giving the rim and bowl

a light sand and splash it with some stain ;-)

Dec 24, 2012
One issue I have cleaning my cobs is I can never get a pipe cleaner through the lip. Now, I'm a clincher, so this may be why, but even a slim churchwarden cleaner won't fit through the lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.