PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
ABF6AFE6-138E-43FB-8426-4E083457F15A-35164-000045E2FE71FC44_zps41942e0d.jpg
Coopersark had this one, could not pass it up, This pipe maker is touted as the best American carver. Will see.

smokershaven

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Columbus, Ohio USA
He is certainly the most revered American carver even though he is a curmudgeon.
I have to disagree. Mike Butera is one of the most Kind & Honest men I have had the pleasure to meet in my life.
In the 1980's & 1990's Mike was making a very very nice pipe compared to every thing else that was out in the market. The pipes he makes now are even better. Is he the best? It is all in the eye of the beholder. There are too many very very good American pipe makers now, and I do not think any single maker is "The Best".

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I must tell Forum members about Mr Premal, one of the most honest man you will ever meet. Last year I get an e-mail from smokers haven saying I was getting a refund, the amount was over 100$, Mr Premal was going over his records and saw that I was doubled billed. Apologizing for the mistake I was given money back. Now I know this has nothing to do with the Butera pipe, but this was such a moment for me, honesty, character, admitting to a mistake , no cover up. Thank you Premal you're the best.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had an opportunity to read some old issues of The Ephemeris and Butera was very highly regarded by some pretty serious collectors. I'll stay tuned for your smoking report.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Butera is / was quite an influence on modern American pipe carvers. Steve Weiner was a student of his (among many others). Butera's pipes are very nice and not cheap when you find one. Yours is a beautiful example of his work.
Congrats!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Wow that is one MEAN looking bulldog. I LOVE the rustication along with the saddle bit. Hope you get many many fantastic smokes from it, which i am sure you will. Happy Puffing!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I believe Butera was Larry Roush's first real teacher, if I recall correctly. Have heard nothing but good things about his pipes.
Congrats, Bradley.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Bradley, that pipe is a stunner. Mike Butera is on my short list of carvers that I really want an example of their work. I know it will smoke like a champ.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
That's a manly pipe.Really looks well made and the stain is beautifully applied and the carving well if that's hand picked with a graving tool he's good.And thought he just made meerschaum coloring bowls.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Bradley. That is one impressive bulldog - absolutely classic lines. Let us know how she smokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.