PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
So me and the wife went into Manhattan to see a display at the The New York Historical society about WWII.

It was small but nice. I got some cool pics of old pipes and tobacco tins. I would love to post them but I can't see to get pictures posted. Can anyone help me with this?

We went to Nat Sherman and they had a decent selection of tobacco and a ton of pipes. The staff were really nice and very helpful. I picked up a couple of ounces each of 536 and 510.

My wife then surprised me by offering to buy a new pipe for an early birthday present. My first nice pipe. They had a big selection and I ended up picking up a Savinelli. Since I can't post a picture... http://www.savinelli.it/en/piazza-di-spagna-rustica.

When I got it home I took off the stem and noticed it has a triangular piece of wood in the cavity. It looks like it is a space for a filter. Should I remove this?

I can't wait to try it out, but I want to wait till I find out what that do-dad does.

Jim

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Cool pipe! Well I use photobucket and then copy the image code and just paste it on in the post. The triangle wood is a balsa filter. You can keep it in or chuck it its up to you. Try smoking it with it and then without it and from there choose IMO it's a beautiful pipe an I haven't seen that series before.

Cheers

Gunnar

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
That's some of the coolest rustication I have ever seen. Is that the shape you picked out too?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe, congrats. I would definitely chuck the filter, in my opinion it takes away from the flavor of the tobacco. I have filtered pipes and they all smoke great without it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Very nice pipe! Toss the filter IMHO. +1 to what Gunnar said. Photobucket and PM Mag forum seem to work really well together without doing anything other than copy and paste of the img code. Photobucket is free btw. Another plus.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Cool. I will try and do a picture post in the morning...

Yes that is the exact pipe in the link I bought.

I will chuck the filter... wasn't sure that's what it was. I had filters on the cobs I bought and got rid of those. Just didn't like the draw with them in.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice pipe. There should be an adapter with it to fit in the stem when you remove the filter. That will make smoking a bit easier. Enjoy and happy birthday.

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
That is a really nice pipe. Congrats and happy birthday! My Savinelli had one in it too. I tossed mine too, however while in a pipe shop one day I seen the potential value. Mine will get some gurgle at times. Depending on where I am at I can shake it out or run a pipe cleaner in it to remove the moisture. In a situation where I would be at the local pipe shop sitting and talking and smoking it would soak up some of the moisture while I am there. That is one thing I noticed with it in versus with the filter removed. Me personally, I still have not placed another filter back in mine even with all that said.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The Savinelli Piazza pipes are great looking pipes. I almost bought one a while back but went with a Trevi instead. As for the Balsa filters, I like them. I have 2 Savinelli's and I use the filters in both. They are my only two pipes that I have filters in and I don't notice a difference in flavor at all. What I do notice is the smoke is cooler and there is no gurgle in the pipe at all. I think the Balsa system is a good way to go. If you find that you don't like it there should be a small black converter tube with the pipe which goes in place of the Balsa filter. Enjoy the new pipe. She's a beauty.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
very nice pipe. the balsa filters work nicely for moister. however i do not care for them. i like to run a pipe cleaner through my pipe while smoking for the removal of moister and or gurgle. i do use the adapter provided with the savs. the balsa filters do not allow you to use a pipe cleaner while smoking. i hope you enjoy your new pipe sir.
take care.
mike.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
very nice. I bought a Sav Dry-System 2320. It had the balsa filters and their P-lip design. I like it very much. Don't use the filter either.
2320.jpg

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Ugggg! The gentleman who helped me did not give me the original Sav box with the extras in it, but he gave me the pipe in a Nat Sherman box. Luckily he gave me his card. He is off on Mondays but I will give him a buzz tomorrow and get it straightened out. Thanks for the info. I would have surely missed it!

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Sent this as a PM to twang, but thought the rest of you might like an extremely easy to use image uploading site...
hey use imageshack.com its free, make a quick account, and right on the front page theres an upload button...
It can also scale the photos for you automatically, just tell it like 800x600 for something for use for forum...
when you select the file, select size and hit upload, some options will pop up for using it...
there is one already created for forums, called forum code, click it and it will all highlight, copy, and then paste
it into a post... all done!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
It serves 2 purposes, absorb moisture for a drier smoke and some filter pipes have a too open draw without a filter in them, so that can help with that as well. But you need to change it after every couple of smokes.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Well I had my first smoke and it was really good!

Smoked real slow for the break in and it was nice and cool. The draw was excellent without anything in the stem.

Looking forward to years of great smoking from this pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.