Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

My Birthday Pipe: Kaywoodie Handmade Oversize

(30 posts)
  1. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up this old Kaywoodie last weekend at an antique mall. It was in poor, filthy shape when I found it but I knew her potential.

The stamping is not very strong but identifies it as another Kaywoodie Handmade, but this is on of the oversize models.

It took a lot of steaming and some topping to get the bowl back to even. I alternated steaming and topping until I was happy with the shape.

After an overnight alcohol soak and a few hours to dry, I lightly sanded with 400 grit wet dry paper. She has a few scratches and a bit of whitish "mold" that I wanted to get rid of. I then stained it with Fiebings Dark Brown cut about 50/50 with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I applied, flamed, buffed and repeated. Then she got buffed and waxed up.

The stem was really deeply marked and took a lot of time and work. I used files, sand paper, micro mesh, plastic polish and wax on it, actually starting over twice to get it as nice as possible. Oh, and did I mention the bit was cracked under all the crud? It was. This was my first time fixing a crack with super glue and was happy with the out come and learning curve (small lol).

I'm enjoying a bowl of AJ's VaPer in her now and she's doing real well. Today is my birthday and I figure I did okay on my gift to myself.

Greg
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Hella good job man! Love my old Kaywoodies!

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Master, The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Now that's a Kaywoodie with character! Not at all surprised you fell in love with her. She looks almost as proud as you do now

Great job, Greg!

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quite the turn around! I love seeing pictures of restored pipes.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happy birthday Greg!!! Nice find and beautiful clean up

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! Very nice.
    Looks to have a three or four second echo delay in that bowl.
    Happy birthday Brudder!

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Nice job!

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great rescue! Interesting shape, it almost has a Custombilt look to it.

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow Greg!

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work Greg! Have you tried using Super Glue mixed with activated charcoal powder for stem repairs?

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happy Birthday, and what a great job restoring. That work will be paying off for many years.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happy Birthday Greg.

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 6 years ago #
  15. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awsome job mate!

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

happy belated birthday Greg, and congrats on the pipe. its kinda different looking but it came out looking great! nice job on the resto.

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW... you did one hell of a job! Looks like an entirely different pipe

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 6 years ago #
  18. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice job!

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments and birthday wishes.

It is like a new pipe, comparatively speaking, now. I liked that "unique" shape as soon as I laid eyes on it; it does kind of look like a Custom Built. I live the feel of it in my hand but its a heavy block of briar; I know why it had such deep toothmarks in the stem now!

Ed, I've not yet tried using powdered activated carbon with super glue. It sounds like a good idea, mind elaborating in the process? Mix it first, pack it and then drip in the glue … ?

It smoked very well for my first run. But the bottom of the bowl (yes, it does have an echo chamber :rofl:) needs raised, as does that old "German" one, so I spend some time pipe mudding them this morning. I'm looking forward to trying it out again in a few days.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The way I do it is to use a small mound of the powder(doesn't take much)use your mixing tool to make a small divot in the center of the mound then put a drop or two of glue in that divot.Use your tool to stir in a circular motion to mix. Once the glue starts to thicken slightly apply it to the stem,don't worry about trying to smooth it out to much as it will set up quickly.The more you work it the faster it will set.Usually it can be worked after 10-15 minutes. Use a fine file and sandpaper to smooth and feather it. You may need to do a couple of coats. If any pits appear after sanding use straight Super Glue to fill them. Because of a slight difference in color the repair will be visible if you look closely. The Glue mixture is quite hard and will shine up nicely. This works on plastic and nylon stems as well as vulcanite--as long as they are black.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Ed. I'm going to have to get some powdered carbon and give this a try!

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

You've just inspired me to load up one of my old Kaywoodies right! now!
    [dot, dot, dot.]
    Flake medallions, fully rubbed. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Greg - Happy bithday and I'd say you did a great job with that pipe.

I used EJames trick yesterday, but just substituted some cigar ash that I collect when I'm at my local shop. This Comoy's stem has a big hole in it, just below the button. I forgot to take a before picture.

Al

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you Al. That turned out rather well! I'd never have thought if cigar ash either. Very creative fixes you guys are coming up with I must say.

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful stuff there Greg! I love these Kays, a shape I've yet to acquire. Happy belated birthday!!

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 6 years ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. This will put a whole new twist when my wife spots one of those antique shops in the country
    where she has to prowl around and shop. She'll be shocked at how ready I am to go antiquing. May
    I ask how much the pipe was? I'd expect to pay three or four bucks for the "before" pipe, but it
    depends on how alert to their appeal the antique sellers have become. Do I hear ten? Do I hear
    twelve?

Posted 6 years ago #
  27. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happy birthday. Very nice pipe, oh, and great resto job.

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 6 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

IIRC, one puffer here put an advert in his local equivalent of "Uncle Henry," sort of a buy/sell/swap magazine, expressing his interest in buying used and antique smoking pipes. Surprisingly, he got a few calls and did check some of them out. Some were dogs, some were overpriced, some were nice, the price ended up a good deal, so he bought them.

One pipe he got a call on was a Dunhill. Bah, the guy wanted $150, many times what he'd ever spent on a pipe. But the thought of it nagged him, so on a nice weekend day, he and his wife went for a ride out that way so he could "just check that Dunnie out." He played it out, just looking, more than I want to spend, it needs a lot of work, etc. Bah, he offered the guy $50, final offer. The seller squirmed a bit, but settled OK, $50.

That old pipe cleaned up nicely and happened to be an old rare Dunhill, in excellent condition, worth easily $500-$600. Needless to say, that Dunhill remains his favorite burner and likely always will.

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the kind works. I paid the princely sum of $8 this one; one very similar to this one, unrestored and in rough shape, just recently went for about $30 on the Bay so I feel real good about my purchase! As for selling it, one never knows but I don't have any plans to let it go.

Posted 6 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Didn't mean to steal your thread, Greg -- I just thought about Michael's story that occurred some months back and it reminded me about how, if someone enjoys putting in the effort in finding and restoring old pipes, there are some great bargains to be found out there

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, ben88, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar