PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Recently I read a post here that started "if I had a grand" pipe. I don't know which one I would buy if I did have a grand right now, but I don't think it could smoke any better than this old GBD Conquest Prehistoric. I have quite a few pipes, but out of all of them, this pipes smokes the best. I don't know if it's the feel, the draw, the balance or what, but it just delivers a great smoke every time. It's old and worn, and the finish is splotchy, but I wouldn't trade it for a Jess Chonowitsch. (well, maybe I would). But anyway.

On a side note, I recently listed some photos of some GBD pipes that I own. I couldn't find this one to include it's picture. I have a habit of putting them down wherever I happen to be, while doing whatever it is that I'm doing. I found this pipe on a shelf in the garage today. It's been missing for a couple months. It was a nice surprise when I found it.The older I get the more surprises I seem to give myself. But this was one of the good surprises.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For me, it's this Radice Underwood hawkbill.

RadiceUnderwood1.jpg
RadiceUnderwood2.jpg

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Mine is a Brigham Chinook 426. I have several pipes that would be considered of higher quality, not many but there are some decent ones in my modest collection. For some reason it just smokes anything I put in it remarkably well. Funny enough it won't pass a pipe cleaner and it has an acrylic stem that is somewhat large but it just seems to work very well for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several that contend for the title, and many close on their heels. For seniority, I will give the prize to my

Mountain Laurel poker/pot by the North Carolina pipe carver Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., who sells only at the N.C.

State Fair in October and the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in April. A large bowl, excellent airway, and

impressively durable material. It's twelve years old and not showing its age. All of my Johs are outstanding. All

three of my Stanwells. My Petersons do excellent work. Chacom, MM cobs, Old Dominion cobs, BC, Iwan Ries

house pipes, a Giani, a Vuillard, and etc. The equal to the Mountain Laurel pipe, but not yet as time tested, is

my Ser Jacopo blast bent Dublin.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Best SMOKING pipes:
Tinsky Dress Coral Canadian

Peterson Flame Grain 106 Billiard

Yeti Pipes free hand
As of VERY recently, actually this weekend, my new Jason Cochey Briar Bird "Twisted Tomato". Coolest (in terms of cool smoke from the draw) smoking pipe i have ever had the privilege of puffing. Effortless draw as well and looks amazing. I am about to make a thread with some pics for reference.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Best is a relative term, but my best smoker is a Comoy's Tradition Bulldog, which, While not my most expensive pipe, is a magic pipe. Regardless of the tobacco I choose to smoke in it, I have a magnificent smoke. I have a few pipes that cost significantly more than this, but this one clicks every time.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like to think that I don't keep pipes that don't smoke well. The truth is I have a few that don't make it into rotation too often as they don't smoke as well as I would like, but I like having the pipes, so I keep them around. So I guess you could say the most of my pipes are great smoking pipes.
However, if I had to pick just one, it would be my Craig Cooper. This pipe has probably passed through the hands of a couple of members here, but I don't think anyone else is going to get the chance now. (well maybe after I die) :roll: Just a regular billiard shape, a little longer than average at 6.25 inches, has nicely figured briar, but is so well made, that I have never had a problem smoking anything in it. I'll admit to only smoking english and latakia blends in it, but it has a wonderful draw, is nicely balanced and is a pleasure to hold. Ah yes, there's the fact too that I love billiard shapes.
img_0032-600x383.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Agnostic, that Cooper is plenty gorgeous!
It's hard for me to say which is my best pipe - all smoke well. I suppose the pipes that comes closest to perfect are my Savinelli Chiara 502 and my Stanwell Bing.
sav-600x399.jpg

stanwell-sterling-600x421.jpg

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
As Agnosticpipe said, I also don't keep any pipes around that don't smoke well. My favorites used to be Dunhills, but my affection for them is slowly waning.
Rad Davis

Scott Thile

Jerry Crawford

J and J
These four makers are my favorites, so far.
Hopefully, I will be adding a Michael Parks in the near future

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm lucky to have some very nice smokers but my 3 Gabrieli's are at the top of my pile. Dan Chlebive is a Master carver. None of them is over 40 gms and the draw on all of them is exceptional.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
numbersix, I love that little panel. I have a similar pipe made out of Mountain Laurel instead of briar,

from last April at the pipe show, love at first sight.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm always throwing a new pipe into the rotation but if I want a sure bet on a good smoke I'll choose one of my Medico Jets. They feel great and smoke wonderfully. So much so that every time I see one on ebay I'll make a go at it because I know it'll be a winner.
jet_zpsa7cf9e59.jpg

medicojet_zps9c514a0f.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have so many great pipes and can honestly say that with certain tobacco's I would choose one over the other and this runs the lineup of corn cobs, rock cobs, meerschaum's, porcelain, briar, Morta, Olive Wood and Strawberry Wood.
Up until recently I only came close with my Morta pipes with all of the tobacco being consumed to ash, no, or minimal relights, never having to run a pipe cleaner through it while smoking, never hearing a gurgle, and a pure dry smoke throughout. I have just made this pipes acquaintance recently when I picked it up a few weeks ago.
This Dublin shape with the makers twist added is this Smio Satou, I have yet to feed it the same tobacco twice and it has met all of the qualities I just noted and am totally blown away by it. I can only imagine what it will be like when it breaks in!
15069678568_389ee00467_z.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
You can't go wrong with an old GBD. I have several, and they all smoke like champs.

@ Quincy. Great looking pipe. Im a sucker for cumberland stems.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, I just went thru my group and I honestly cannot chose one that smokes better than the others. I guess that's a good place to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.