PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Ok, As I mentioned in other threads, I used to smoke cigars for 10+ years and a pipe for about a year but never got into pipe smoking much. I've been out of the hobby for about 5 years and just decided to give pipes a try again. I started a couple of months ago and here's what I have.
The pipe shelf. The jars are my "go to" jars of different blends. The large box holds pipe cleaners, butane etc. The small box has my tools. The small box is an interesting 100 year old example of Romanian pyrography with a nice bucolic scene.
shelf_zpsupnpfyp4.jpg

Here are the pipes, a Dunhill 4114 bent dublin, a Dunhill 3407 prince, and a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro 313 prince.
pipes1_zpsttd3wo7f.jpg

pipes2_zpskxgfllye.jpg

Here's the "tool box". Corona Old Boy pinstripe lighter, Laguiole pipe tool and Laguiole cigar cutter, Savinelli pipe tamper that came with the pipe, and of course the Sea Captain.
box_zpshuy5xodr.jpg

Here's my small "cellar". 24 4oz jars of various blends, about 2 lbs of tobacco altogether.
cellar_zpst4odzfhp.jpg

I really liked ssjones focus on the bulldog/rhodesian shapes and his discipline in assembling a 7 day rotation. I may try the same thing with the prince shape. Maybe get a nice set of 5 rather than 7 since I don't smoke every day. That's a perfect shaped pipe for me, fits perfect in the hand and since I don't smoke a lot, the shorter bowl makes for a shorter 20-30 minute smoke. Perfect.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Nice small collection good accessories. No ship models only classic cars and trucks? Shel

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's a nice start for sure. That you're thinking ahead as you get into the varied aspects of pipe smoking is also a sign of commitment and prudent.

Just because you don't smoke every day, though, there ARE 7 days in a week, AND you'll need one or two of those EXTRA special ones for the two days above 350 in a year. Designated Holiday pipe(s).

But, seriously, I agree with you that those gawdanged comoy's of ssjones are the shit! and inspire a similar approach. Just remember that as a beginner you will experience change of taste.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well that's a pretty darned good started set up- far beyond most I'm sure. Heck I'm not a started and you have nicer pipes than me!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is the finest starter set I have ever seen on this site, very well done. All high qualty prodcuts that will last for years.

Now that I see what kind of things you like to buy, I can suggest some really nice artisan makers to you which I think will add to your enjoyment of your pipes. Also what types off blends are you buying, all of those pipes scream smoke flakes in me.
For example, this pipe from Bruce Weaver will be a fantastic smoker and it seems to fit into you style of pipe collecting.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/bruce-weaver/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=160461
I own 2 pipes from Bruce and both are killer smokers.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
It looks to me like you are all set up and ready to go again. Pack a bowl and start smoking. :D

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
That is the finest starter set I have ever seen on this site, very well done. All high qualty prodcuts that will last for years.

Now that I see what kind of things you like to buy, I can suggest some really nice artisan makers to you which I think will add to your enjoyment of your pipes. Also what types off blends are you buying, all of those pipes scream smoke flakes in me.
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!
I bought this pipe also, but it was just too small in hand, probably a group size 1, so I sent it back. I knew it would be smaller than my Dunhill based on the measurements but I was surprised at how small it was when I got it. I was really disappointed, had it been more in line with the Dunhill, it probably would have been my favorite pipe so far.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Michail-Kyriazanos/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170600
Thanks for the tip on Bruce Weaver pipes. I'm going to be on the lookout for another prince and would like to get a custom if possible. I also have my eye on this one, another Dunhill.
http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Dunhill-B292-i32783.html
As far as blends go, I've tried about 15 different so far, both tins and bulk. My favorites are black Cavendish blends. I seem to get tongue bite from the lighter Virginia blends. I also like Dunhill Nightcap but it's the only Latakia blend I've tried so far. I haven't tried flake yet but it's on my to-do list.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would recommend grabbing a tin of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, it is my favorite blend and there is no tongue bite at all. If you try this and for some reason you do get some bite, then it is because of your smoking technique. If you are smoking wet tobacco, it will bite. If you are packing to loosely it will burn too hot and can bite. I smoke flakes exclusively becasue for my tastes they smoke cooler and give more flavor than any other cut of tobacco. Other nice bite free flakes are Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue Flake and Astleys no 44. All of these come ready to smoke as the humidity levels are perfect right out of the tin. Smoking wet tobacco will bite your tongue pretty good. Also you packing technique is very important. I try to get the sensation of sipping a milkshake through a straw, as I find anything looser will burn hot and I will lose flavor.
It seems that you gravitate to smaller pipes which is fine especially for flakes. You might want to try a Dublin, Rhodesian and an Apple to start. As I am sure you realize there are so many choices out there and it will take time experimenting to find what suits you. When buying pipes make sure to ask what the shank diameters are as a 4.00-4.3mm opening will give you a nice easy draw and can reduce tongue bite. When you have a pipe that is too restricted, it can burn wet and hot. I wish you all the best on your journey and remember to have patience, pipe smoking is an art and it takes time to figure it all out.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Now if you can just avoid the dreaded Pipe Addiction Disorder and Tobacco Addiction Disorder you are good to go. Great starter set, after all, you can only smoke one pipe at a time (I am SURE someone will challenge THAT!).

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I forgot to mention, I have an MM "Cobbit" on the way also. I've never smoked a cob and want to try that out also.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hey, please. Smoke a few bowls with the cob. Smoke a few bowls with the Dunhill. And give us an honest comparison of the smoking qualities of the two. Some of us would be really interested.
thanks.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Hey, please. Smoke a few bowls with the cob. Smoke a few bowls with the Dunhill. And give us an honest comparison of the smoking qualities of the two. Some of us would be really interested.
I can but to be honest, I'm such a beginner at this, I'm not sure my opinion would mean much. Even if I thought they smoked about the same, that impression would probably be due to my inexperience rather than a true understanding of pipe smoking characteristics. Heck, I'm still trying to learn how to smoke an entire bowl slowly enough to avoid tongue burn.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Congratulations on your setup. 2 Dunhills and a top of the line Savinelli, and 2 lbs of tobacco. Great!

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I wouldn't really call that a start. I know guys that only have three or four really nice pipes, a good lighter and they focus on maybe three or four blends. Nothing says you have to have millions of pipes and hundreds of pounds of tobacco. I only have 18 pipes two of which are cobs and two of which are morta :puffy: the other 14 are 7 for Va and Vaper and 7 For English. I smoke 14 pipes for the last 10 years it wasn't un till recently that I added the morta (the morta are my new blend pipes, its what I smoke any new blend in to get a true flavor of the tobacco) and cobs (which I use the cobs while working in the yard or in my shop).
I say unless you just enjoy the pipe collecting that you are pretty well set. Except for a Savinelli #320 everybody should have one of those if you asked me.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Well, I smoked the "Cobbit" with some flake.
Observations (from a beginner) are - the pipe smokes "cooler" since it has a large bowl, thick walls, and a long stem. I liked that since I still haven't completely learned how to smoke yet without getting a little tongue burn.
Problems are, the stem is pretty cheap and feels like it compared to my other pipes. The pipe also smokes wet and gurgles. And, the huge bowl is just too big for my interests. I just don't have time for 60 minute smokes, not to mention the nicotine buzz after half a bowl. It's just too much.
I'll probably smoke it again just for the heck of it, but I don't see this being my direction in the hobby.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I wouldn't really call that a start. I know guys that only have three or four really nice pipes, a good lighter and they focus on maybe three or four blends. Nothing says you have to have millions of pipes and hundreds of pounds of tobacco.
I agree, I doubt I'll ever have more than a 7 day rotation set. For now, 3 pipes are more than plenty. My direction in the hobby will probably be exactly as you mention above - just a few pipes and a few blends, although I might eventually store up couple of dozen pounds of tobacco. I doubt tobacco will ever be cheaper than it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.