PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I just sort of touched on this topic in another thread and thought I'd start one devoted to why we may think our local B&M is awesome. Now ladies and gents this isn't a competition so let's all just be on the lookout for a place worth stopping by on that next trip.
My B&M is awesome because:

1) You can smoke inside; I'm sure this applies to most.

2) I can usually get a free bowl of something new to try cause I'm familiar with the guy and more than likely I'll pick up a few ounces if I like it. (That's just good business)

3) "The Rake" A special blend of tobacco that is a random mixture of stuff that fell off the scale or out of jars and baggies when filling. I find myself intrigued but have yet to work myself up to it. After all if I liked it it would never exist that way again. It's like a tobacco sunset.
Feel free to share.

graywizard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2013
years ago in WNY I used to hang at Bellezia Tobacco shop. Knew the owners and they made most of my pipes in my collection. I am long gone and in Hooterville here there isn't any place. and if there were I can bet you it would not be the friendly hang out shop that I grew up in. now most are just 'business'.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I don't really HAVE a B&M, so here's my fantasy:
It's in my house.

My girlfriend is okay with indoor smoking.

Every blend that I love is in stock, and every blend I want to try is coming in tomorrow.

Fully stocked beer and whisky bar.

Unlimited couch space.

oldman

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
Gave my local B&M a want list for some tins...hopefully the "dude" will pass the info onto the owner as stated.

I'm really into supporting local businesses, and would love to do that for this place...they have a decent selection of pipes, some racks, and a nice display of there own blends. But they only carry like, 3 different tins of Dunhill, some 1888, & then your standard drugstore blends (really, it's mostly a cigar/ryo/glass shop). Their response will push me their way, or on-line city (which, of course offers greater selection & price anyway but not the whole browsing-outta the house-face2face-experience).

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Those of us in the D.C. metro area are blessed in the B&M choices available to us - especially in two of those choices.
1) Georgetown Tobacco - I've posted about their G-Town location before. It's really your classic tobacco shop (they've still got an Indian) with a great selection of Pipes and Pipe tobacco. The staff I've dealt with is pretty helpful - and chatty (a personal plus!). I've not been to their Alexandria, Va. location, but if it holds to the same standard, it should be a fine place.
2) W. Curtis Draper Tobacconist - Another DC legacy, it's home location is spitting distance from the White House. They recently acquired a second location in Bethesda, MD. (formerly JB Simms/Bethesda Tobacco). I've not been to the Downtown location, but the one in Bethesda is pretty nice. It has a pool table and ample lounge space for you to enjoy yourself. Unfortunately, it's a lot more geared toward cigars and their pipe tobacco collection is rather limited - but well chosen.
3) Shelly's Back Room - The best place to go for a social smoke in DC and also quite near the White House. It's a BYOT and is friendly to Pipe smokers (Yay! So many cigar bars here are not.) with great lounge space and a decent menu. They charge a cover ($15 I think) if you don't order a drink food, but one beer will get that fee waved - in other words, I have yet to see anyone pay it. They also have a pretty good selection of cigars as well!
There are other locations, but those three are the best I can recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.