PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Completed my 6th homemade Briar Pipe - R6

It is either a very tapered poker, or a dublin with the extended bowl below the shank. So perhaps a Dublin-Poker?
The finish is a medium brown stain with natural finish on the rim.

I finally got a band-saw as a wonderful early birthday gift from my wife! :D

It certainly made the straight cuts much easier than with the hand saw I had been using.

All other work was with sand paper, rasp file, and a curved wood carving tool.
homemade-pipe-r6-dublin-poker-600x600.jpg

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Really pretty pipe. Soon you'll be getting commission requests!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
That is some very nice work there mate. Often, I get a bit envious of some of you guys, I wish I could do the great carving that many of you do on this site. I have tried many times but...........

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Wow, I love how you did the natural finish on the bowl! The little details :clap:

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks everyone!! I'm always such a critic of my own work and see and feel every flaw, so its good to hear that it looks good from others. :)
I'm already inspired for my next one. something green, something with an Irish flair; shape and style! :mrgreen:

lildutchboy

Lurker
Dec 1, 2012
beautiful pipe. I love the contrasting rim. You make me think i could be a pipe carver. You make it look effortless.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I'm beginning to believe, On the one hand it is easier than it looks, and yet it isnt. Its easier to make a 'good' looking pipe than it seems, but then to make a pipe that is exquisite in form, detail, and design without flaw... that is definitely hard. I have yet to get there. Like any art, anyone can do it, but only a master can find the pipe in its true form from within the block. I am gaining an appreciation for the master carvers out there. :worship:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
In a similar vein someone once said "Building guitars looks hard, but it's harder than it looks." Very nice shape you came up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.