PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Although I have been smoking a pipe since I was in my early twenties ( I'm in my early sixties now), I lacked knowledge and technique. I suffered from tongue-bite and a certain lack of enjoyment.

Thanks to the bits of wisdom I have learned on this forum, my enjoyment of this wonderful hobby has sky-rocketed. As part of my 400th post, I thought I would list some of the things I have learned on this forum since joining in November of 2012:
1. Take time to properly dry your tobacco before loading your pipe. Prepare your next bowl of tobacco well in advance. Err on the dry side.

2. There are many different pipe loading methods. Use the method that suits the individual tobacco. Don't be afraid to try new techniques. Err on packing your pipe on the loose side with most blends.

3. Smoke slowly and then slow down some more. Patience is the key.

4. Smoke at least an ounce of a new tobacco before deciding whether you like it or not. Forming a hasty opinion, good or bad about a tobacco can be a mistake. I vow to no longer review a tobacco after the first bowl.

5. I am the best judge of what I like. However, my tastes will change as I continue in this hobby so I shouldn't be too rigid in my opinions or current preferences.

6. Pay attention to the long-time, successful pipe smokers on this forum. To avoid embarrassment, it is usually better for the newbie to shut-up (not post too many opinions) and listen (read). (In other words, I should not be at 400 posts!) Questions, no matter how simple, are always acceptable on this site. Glean the information that is useful and discard the baloney. Always remember #5.

7. Carter Hall is a great mixer. Thanks nsfisher and rothnh!

8. Although I love the stuff, red Virginias are the main source of my tongue-bite. Thanks guys for diagnosing my problem!

9. Due to the kindness of gecko13, I now have learned that I have an insatiable hankering for Stonehaven. Since that tobacco is as rare as unicorns; darn you all to heck gecko13! :D

10. Bradley (the Old Cajun) is always good for a laugh.
As I continue, I look forward to learning more. I will need your advice as I fill the blank spaces on my new 24 place pipe rack. I appreciate this forum and the knowledge its members provide. Thanks guys (and gals)!

-Tim

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Tim
Nice, thoughtful post.
Since you're giving shout-outs, I'd would like to thank both Harris and Roth for their wisdom, and of course others too numerous to mention. Peck too.
Pipenovelguy, Mike and old cajun do make me laugh, which is tough to do nowadays
(don't mean to leave anyone out) :)

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
I would add.....There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Flyguy... great post. :clap:

Congratulations on number 400.
When I first joined up; I too had been a pipe smoker for many years, and actually thought that I knew about pipes and tobacco.

It wasn't a week before I realized... I was full of "ba-lony", and misinformation....

While I may still be full of "ba-lony"...

I have learned many of the very same lessons that you have...

And, seem to learn something everyday...

:puffy:

Thanks guys and gals.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Tim very astute post after 400. I wish mine were as astute as yours. Thanks for posting!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Excellent post. I've learned too many things to list. Yours will be lengthening over the years as well. Be sure to post again when you get to 100 things you've learned haha!
You forgot...
11) Kevin is always wrong right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flyguy, congrats on 400 and I do not think that is too many. I am glad to hear your enjoyment has gone way up because of this forum and understand it because mine has also gone way up due to the guys here. There is so much to learn in this hobby and it is great that so many share their knowledge so freely. I had taken a few years off from my pipes and when I came back I too learned that it was the Red Virginia's and my body chemistry that was giving me trouble with a few of my favorite blends. I had thought it was my technique or not drying the tobacco and it was none of those. That one tip increased my enjoyment to a different level because I was then able to start acquiring a number of great blends that I could smoke with no tongue bite at all. Another great tip I learned here was from bentmike and the cube cut method for flakes. I have been able to find a number of favorite blends because of the reviews people have posted. I found my favorite types of pipes( American artisans most notably Rad Davis) because of bigvan. I always have appreciated old cajuns sage advice and his friendship. There are so many great guys here and I still learn new stuff all the time. roth has been a wealth of knowledge in many areas and my good buddy peck is just a madman with his pipe and tobacco collection and I love seeing his latest acquisitions.
Allan, it has been a pleasure helping you out and watching as your tastes have changed. From full bent pipes to straights, who would have thunk it? LOL
Flyguy, one tip of yours that I will respectfully disagree with is to pack tighter than you think you have to. You can always re pack if you do it too tight, when you pack too loose you will get a hot smoke. You should always have a good bit of resistance before you light up. This is especially true with flake tobaccos.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great post flyguy - this forum is indispensable for any pipe smoker looking to increase their enjoyment.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
11) Kevin is always wrong right.
Consider this added to my list! :rofl:
Flyguy, one tip of yours that I will respectfully disagree with is to pack tighter than you think you have to. You can always re pack if you do it too tight, when you pack too loose you will get a hot smoke. You should always have a good bit of resistance before you light up. This is especially true with flake tobaccos.
I guess "looser" is a relative term depending on what you're currently practicing. My problem was that I was packing too tight. This suggestion is mostly for me and anyone else that jams tobacco into the bowl similar to loading a cannon. I also said "most blends". I notice that I can pack dried cube-cut flakes much tighter. Testing the draw before lighting is always the key and a lesson I had not learned previously. Thanks cigrmaster!

Dec 24, 2012
This is a great place. I love chatting about pipes and tobacco and look forward to checking out this site. It is a great stress reliever from the daily toils of one's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.