PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I finally got around to picking up a Savinelli at my local b&m today. However, I'm unable to find any info anywhere on the internet about this line of pipes, so am hoping one of our resident experts will be able to shed a little light...
All I can tell you is that it has been hiding in that cabinet for at least 10 years & possibly considerably longer.
It is stamped on the bottom as a "Savinelli Gold" "316 KS" & "ITALY". It has 2 dots on the stem and the hallmark on the gold band says either "960" or "980".
I'd only gone in for some pipe cleaners & flints. The shopkeep at this place is a bad, bad man!

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Pics.

20131008_173135_zps4c33ffcf.jpg

20131008_173114_zpsed55ac3f.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
According to pipehil that is a Savinelli line of pipes and the two dots are the correct logo. I can't find much else. I have looked at a lot of Savinelli pipes in the past few years and can't recall seeing one from this line. I think it is a nice looking pipe though. I really like the 316 shape and I think the gold band goes well the with dark finish.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there, while I don't have any experience with this line of Savinelli pipes, I'm pretty sure that "316KS" refers to the shape #, and I've read that KS is Savinelli's reference to "King Size" bowls/pipes. Here is a link to the Savinelli shape chart: http://www.laudisi.com/shapechart.cfm
Congrats on your new burner.
-- Pat

Aug 1, 2012
They are a higher grade Sav from what I can tell. I found one new from a dutch tobacco shop for €333 and several that sold estate for $90-175. Yours looks especially good to me though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like a good, probably high end pipe. If you don't mind, how much did you pay? However, what really

has my curiosity is how a pipe like this could hide-out unsold in a small-business pipe shop for ten years.

Most of these places finger every piece of inventory and move it out, one way or another, by the clock, by the

stop watch. I'm exaggerating, but small businesses have to keep the cash flow moving. How did this pipe,

which may represent well above their average price level, end up languishing? There's a back story here.

Any ideas? Nice pipe, you'll enjoy it.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm a huge Sav fan, not familiar with two gold sits but is guess you have a high end pipe. Definitely a 316KS shape.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
It was sitting there for so long because it wasn't on display. It was kept in it's box at the back of the cabinet & only shown to "proper pipers", of which there are apparently very few around here...
We're only guessing it's age based on the type of price sticker on the box, which he stopped using at least 10 years ago. God knows how long it had already been there before that. It was priced at £180 (approx $290 I think) back then. I ended up paying £130 (approx $210).
Researching the hallmark on the band seems to put it at purer than 22 carats?
Also, the pipe did not come with filters, instead it has a removable metal tube that is cross cut at one end to form a point. Is this an adapter or something else?
It will easily pass a cleaner even with this tube in place, which surprised me. :)

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I am at a loss as to why there is absolutely NO info online about this line of pipes!!?!?!
You would think that if it was a stinker or "Jewel in the Crown" there would be SOMETHING online on it!
Seriously, why would they put such a pure grade of gold on this pipe???
Is it crap so they put it on so you're paying for the gold alone or did they deem it excepional so they put the good stuff on???
Either way, either I fleeced the shop or they fleeced me! 8O

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Very nice looking pipe, I hope it smokes great for you.
In regards to the gold, it should read either .585 or .750 since it is an Italian product. .585 is 14kt, .750 is 18kt. There are no designations for 960 or 980 and if there were it would be a .980 or .960. The designation for 22kt is .917 and that is almost exclusively used by dentists for fillings. If it were pure gold it would read .99. If it were 9kt Gold it would read .375. The only way to determine if it is indeed Gold, would to have it assayed.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
First and last numerals are definately a 9 & 0. The middle one is a bit tricky though with a standad magnifying glass. Definately does not look like a 5 (22 carat) though...

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
So, despite trawling, I have STILL not been able to find out a single thing about these pipes on the web! (Frustrating! Damn you, Internets!!!)
I've also only seen 2 or three listings on ebay but the sellers didn't seem to know much or put up any useful info either (unless you call "rare" useful).
I have never bought anything from ebay & don't plan on starting, but if it is a "high-end" line then I thought a couple of you may have an interest in the following auction I found...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HERMIT-SAVINELLI-GOLD-207-ITALY-750-BAND-GREAT-BLAST-APPLE-ELEGANT-CLASSIC-/231073313227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cd0af1cb
I have also never bought an "estate pipe" so have NO expertise in the area, but that seems like a steal to me at $13.50!

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
While I'm no expert and have no knowledge of this line, it's been my experience that Savinelli doesn't make crap. Even if it's they're lower priced lines or second brands.

Either way, you've got yourself a very handsome pipe!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That Savinelli will not stay at $13.50. There is at least 5 people watching it and as the bidding gets down to the last hour or two it will no doubt go much higher. Looks like a nice estate pipe though.
As for your Savinelli, all I can come up with is that it was in a line of pipes called Gold. Pipes and Cigars has one listed under "Other" in their Savinelli section. I guessing that the Gold line is a discontinued line of pipes from years past. The Gold on P&C is listed at $219.95 (sale price), so its not a cheap pipe by any means.
http://pipesandcigars.com/sapoorogo811.html#.UmLvMxAwfW4

Status
Not open for further replies.