PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I purchased my 1st estate lot of 4 pipes. One had been personalized with the name "PAT". Well my name is not "PAT", so...

I like the way it smokes but its really my first pipe of any quality at all however, so its bound to smoke better than any Ive puffed on before. Since its my first restoration or alteration maybe is a better descriptive word, it will probably hold some sentimental value to me anyway.

I haven't tried any of the salt treatments as yet, but it's had only "Full Virginia Flake" in it at this point.
As Purchased:

Fish1.jpg

After some Alteration:

Fish2.jpg

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Neat pipe and nice job on the bowl. Are there any markings or any idea who its made by?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Thx vabriar,

No markings that I see. Maybe some tell-tale signs others may notice I was hoping. With my Scripto Vu-Lighter hobby I found I could ID dates made by the components of known lighters. Not near as many component to a pipe one can identify makers with.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Thx timely, me too so I saved that etch on it.
Now I sanded the pipe but left it at that. Ive ordered some wax but I was wondering if leaving the pipe in the unpolished /satin finish would lend to the pipe drying out quicker. Thoughts or experience on that anyone?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Thx for the input and advise gang.

Ive ordered some Carnuba Wax. samcoffeeman, Im not real comfortable with stem buffing yet. Ive tired out some techniques an old stem which had an extremely deep bite mark so I wasnt going to lose anything. I got it too hot buffing on the wheel(bench grinder style) in one place and learned from that but did manage to get minor chatter out. Havent made it to a polished finish yet. My varible speed bench grinder does have a very slow etting but Im more comfortable with a dremel tool for this. I do have some experience with buffing plastics as I refurbish Scripto Vu-Lighters. They like the pipe stems have alot of softer heat sensitive plastic parts.
This pipe has become my favorite. It the best smoking pipe I have. I like the shape, feel, and draw flow amount and since I removed all the cake, Im being careful not to let it get too hot breaking it in again. (Ive damaged two meerschaums already) I had it at work with me yesterday in my shirt pocket. As I was putting on my welding jacket I knocked it out of my pocket. Well I was in a 5 story shaft working on a multi level scaffold of the 4th level. It fell aprox 65-70 feet! One of my tool buddys found it for me in a pile of trash he said at the very bottom floor. I figured it was done for! Well its fine, not even a scratch! I carried it in a zipped up pocket the rest of the day. So its got history now, not to mention what the previous owner may have put it thru.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
This ole boy continues to please me. Its history just since I had it is one thing but the tar soaked old fisher sure smokes good. I make have bored it out a little, unsure if this is one I did but it seems to be a go-to pipe quite often. Never disappoints me. That stinger looks like a kaywoodie style thats been cut off doesnt it? It just got its first cake reduction from my smoking. May the previous owner smile upon us.

Fish3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.