PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you follow my posts and collection, you no doubt are aware that I love the chubby Rhodesian shape. My #1 and #2 Holy Grail pipe shapes are the Comoy's 499 and GBD 9242.
Well, last week, a generous member of another forum offered to me his 499 and I bought it in person yesterday. I had to sacrifice two of my Comoy's and one Peterson to acquire it, but it was worth that and more.
It is an Extraordinaire grade 499 and in fantastic condition. From the stamping, the pipe was made in the 1930's, which is incredible to me. It would be wonderful just to look at, but it smokes wonderfully to boot and I'm enjoying some Princes Street Mixture in the pipe right now. I never really thought I would find this pipe, as in the past three years, I've seen none offered for sale.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Al:
I am so happy for you. It's really quite a feat when you're able to obtain something you've wanted for so long.
The pipe itself is beautiful. The fact that it's been around for over seventy years is astonishing. That you're enjoying it so much is the payoff, pal.
Good on you.
Fnord

progger

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Same sentiments as fnord. Quite a fine day for you if I say so myself. Quite a looker of a pipe! Thanks for sharing this awesome addition to your fold. Pun intended. :puffy:

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on finding a pipe that is very special to you. Persistence does have its rewards. I hope you can enjoy it for many years.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74716036/History%20of%20Comoys%2C%20Guide%20towards%20Dating%20-%20Derek%20Green.pdf
Thanks guys! I used Derek Greens "Dating of Comoys" article to date the pipe. I don't think it is available any longer, so I put a copy in my Dropbox, link above if anyone needs to download a copy for their library.
I did have to sacrifice some pipes to obtain this one. But last night, in updating my pipe log, I had invested $80 in the four estate pipes that I bought, restored and resold to get the funds. That gave me a little satisfaction.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Big congrats to you Al. That is indeed the Holy Grail of pipes! And thank a lot for the dating guide - I have downloaded it for future reference.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Pipe log ... hmmm... back to the post...
That's a great story and pipe, Al. Just a real beauty! And thanks for sharing another great article. I need to add a new folder to my Dropbox to keep "pipe stuff" in now!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have two old Comoys and they are outstanding smokers probably due to mthe old briar that is considerably a better smoker than the newer briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.