Musty tasting estate briar pipes.. course of action??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippstakes

Lurker
Jul 31, 2014
Just purchased five very nice briar estate pipes. They are great and in good condition, but they must have been stored for many years (or something) because they all have a very musty, old-blanket-from-the-closet taste. Basically the way you'd expect a leaf from a 75 year old book to taste if you stuffed it in your mouth- not that I'm suggesting anyone should try such a thing.

Do you think the professor's booze/salt treatment will suffice, or are there additional steps I can take to get these things sweetened up?
Thanks

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The mustiness is in the Shank, not the Bowl, get some good brushes and clean that shank out with alcohol, Q-tip the inside of the shank also, Most the fowl gremlins are in the shank. Last resort is a retort or ozone treatment. The shank treatment will probably get rid of it.

kippstakes

Lurker
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for the quick responses. Wow, this forum is excellent.

For the shank, will 90-97% isopropyl work, or do I need everclear?

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
What Cajun said, with emphasis on the mortise. Often the tenon is left a bit short of the mortise so that the stem fits flush even if the briar shrinks a bit after the pipe leaves the factory. A lot of nastiness can accumulate there. Many, many Q-tips (soaked in alcohol) may be needed for this.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Kippstakes:
I inherited my late maternal grandfather's KBB Yelo-Bole Imperial pipe (which my oldest brother had stored for years in his garage with a leaky roof). It was VERY musty, and despite multiple cleanings and salt-and-alcohol treatments musty it remained. In desperation I filled this pipe's bowl and shank with baking soda and let it sit, undisturbed, for 30-days and, voila, no more musty odor!
Subsequently I have used this method to de-ghost certain estate pipes which I have purchased, and found it to work equally well.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
kippstakes, like Bradley and Wilson said, there is most likely a gap in the mortise, and it has filled in with fetid goop. A small flat-blade screwdriver will be of great assistance in scraping it out. If you are a gun owner, you might also try cleaning the shank using a pistol cleaning rod with an appropriately sized bore brush and bore mop. Hoppes #9 is optional. Very optional.
If the mustiness is still there after cleaning/salt/baking soda, PM me and I'll run it through my Ozone Chamber for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.