PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What kind of music do you favor, if any, while sipping your pipe? This being October I've been listening to a CD called "The Most Frightening Music in the Universe," which includes the usual classics, "Chiller," (nothing to do with Michael Jackson, ugh) and the movie soundtrack to "Van Helsing." What have you been listening to?

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Beethoven's symphonies, Chopin's Nocterns, Snow Patrol, Death Cab for Cutie, and whatever indie breaking artist that catches my fancy but when at a lack of other options I always return to the real classics in the Symphonies and Nocterns.

olemissrebel

Lurker
Aug 28, 2013
Laurel, MS
I always listen to my Jawbone Big Jambox when smoking. I dig the Blues and Classic rock. I dig Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Great smoking tunes!!!!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I love modern music of all types. There is so much great music being released everyday, it is hard not to find something enjoyable. That being said, I am not usually listening to music when I smoke as I am usually smoking outside, where there is no stereo.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
My problem is, I know there is great music being made today, I just don't know how to discover it. Regular radio doesn't play much worthwhile in the Detroit area.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Sparrowhawk, let me know what genre's of music you prefer and I can throw together a list of some albums to check out. Personally, I listen to everything from jazz, to pop, to electronic, to metal (and everything inbetween), so I should be able to assist you on your quest for new music :)

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
+1 on liking Tom Waits but I have never put him on while smoking.
Typically, I'm either listening to baseball (great game on right now in Game 3 of ALCS) or I find some good comedy or drama from the BBC radio website.

Aug 1, 2012
Celtic rock, punk and metal or folk tend to be my piping fare. Sparrowhawk, I'm willing to join with Neil and give you some suggestions if you post what styles to look at. Almost forgot, some acapella bands make it into my rotation as well.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Classic heavy metal as always, 95% Ronnie James Dio rip. Besides a great showman, singer, scribe, great human being, he was also a friend.
Craig

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the offer, guys. I will PM you about your offer. Dragonslayer, "Man on the Silver Mountain" is one of my great favs, although mostly for Richie Blackmore's guitar. (Same thing with Zep--Jimmy Page's wizardry with his Les Paul never ceases to amaze me.)

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sparrow, Stargazer is my favorite followed by Children of the Sea (w/Sabbath). If you're into Richie and Ronnie matching harmonies look up Sixteenth Century Green sleeves live on UTube, get the full 18 minute full version of Richie and Ronnie just adlibbing the whole thing.
Craig

Aug 1, 2012
Sparrowhawk. How about Joe Satriani or Steve Vai? 2 amazing guitarists with good bands that have put out different recordings recently. Paul Stanley's most recent work has been pretty good too. I'll think of some more and PM you if I come up with anything good. You basically have to go to the underground or alternative artists to get that kind of guitar work these days.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I enjoy music (use to DJ both on air and parties, but for smoking (like reichenbach) I enjoy watch baseball or football.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Depending if I'm having a full chill or if I'm also tootling about doing things. Strauss grid the chilling and perhaps something like Talking heads or System of a down for tootling

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Well I'm the odd one out, I love Big Band and Swing Jazz, as well as Bebop and Free Form. To add on that I also love Bing, Frank, Dino, Sammy, Ella, and countless of other jazz vocalist I forgot to mention, it just all seems right when smoking.

~Ron

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm usually listening to Heavy Metal, and on a regular basis I'm listening to the most frightening music in the universe as I listen to bands like Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Dark Throne, Cradle of Filth, etc. Heck, this morning while smoking my MM General cob I was watching my music DVD of Death "Live In LA - Death & Raw". There's nothing like a nice pipe and some Death Metal to get your day going.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
It's strange. It I held back from being too vocal in previous threads but there is something of an added charm to the smoking and slow sipping amongst my playlist.

It's all over the place. But only about 700 songs. So I just hit shuffle and I'm good for hours. I add and pluck every few months but its my go to.
Just hit shuffle on my playlist and here's first 10 songs that show. In full embarassment......
Pantera- walk

W Zombie- black sunshine

Scot joplin- mapleaf rag

Steelers wheel- stuck in the middle

Operation ivy- white hat

Darude- sandstorm

Johnny cash- hurt

Jerry lee Lewis- great balls of fire

Nellie- country grammar.

Nirvana-Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam.
My lord that's a trainwreck. But I like them all together next to eachother. So it works. When playin in the shop of I have visitors they always laugh at it.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Mumford and sons albums Babel and Sign No More. The title track of Sigh No More is without a doubt the best song to smoke to IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.