Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadradio

Lurker
Dec 15, 2013
I have to fly to eastern Europe for a work trip, and I have a arranged to taken advantage of a layover in Munich. I have never been there and wondered if anyone knew of any pipe shops I should visit while there. Or maybe a tobacco that is available in Germany that isn't available? Actually advice on a hotel would be helpful too ;)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
both huber's and diehl are great shops, each well worth a visit. i especially liked huber's. there are a couple of others i've been to as well, but honestly they didn't leave a very large impression.
unfortunately there are few places in munich where it's still legal to smoke indoors. a couple of the very high end hotels have smoking lounges (the mandarin oriental is one, and the vier jahreszeiten; the latter has a tiny smoking room off the lobby on the same side as the check-in counter), and there's a pusser's bar which has a third floor small parties can rent to smoke, but almost all of the venues that existed a few years ago are now nonsmoking.
pipes aside (and i know that's a scandalous way to begin a sentence), munich is one hell of a town, and has many things worth seeing and doing. the food alone is a blast, if not exactly healthy by modern standards. if you don't get a schnitzel (go for the veal, not the pork) and a weissbier you've wasted an opportunity. there are countless great restaurants; for traditional german food and a historic atmosphere the alter simpl is fun. and of course the beer halls are a great experience; the large ones are pretty touristy, but there are many smaller ones all over town.
and if you're ever back in munich during nice weather, there are more beautiful beer gardens than you would believe.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Dont know any pipe shops there but I wouldnt miss the Augustiner Keller biergarten right near the central train station. Amazing beer, fantastic food and you can smoke outside with a heatlamp under one of the nice old trees!

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I saw the gas ovens for outside smoking in Paris, where no smoking is allowed inside, on the wall of nearly every bar or restaurant. I found it an enormous waste of energy.

deadradio

Lurker
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for all the advice...
Bomber a biergarten is definitely in my future.
Guss, sad that Europe has followed the US into a series of anti-smoking laws. On the plus side... I'm used to smoking outdoors already.

Status
Not open for further replies.