PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I like avant-garde designs as much as the next guy, and I even have a couple of Werner Mummert's pipes.
But for real? A lego pipe? And he even makes accent lego blocks out of briar?
I admire the innovation and craftsmanship . . . but who would be caught dead smoking this thing?
The photos below were posted on another forum from someone who was attending the Nashville Pipe Show.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I'd smoke that sucker in a second. At my office my business card holder and coffee mug are made out of Lego by my son. Every once in a while I send them home for a redesign. This would make the perfect cornerstone for my desk set. That said, I'm sure the price point would tip the balance away from actually buying it. But if I had it, I would proudly smoke it. I've never been one to worry what others are thinking.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
I was right behind my fellow redditor when he took this, actually. I'll say this about it. Would I ever smoke this? Honestly, probably not. But, after picking it up, the sheer amount of fun it represents in both what it is and the memories of being brought up with legos everywhere, coupled with how much detail was on this pipe, it made for an impressive piece. It's like some of the newer restaurants I see on TV in that they take something you may have had in childhood and bring it back as a grown up version of itself.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I'd smoke any of those Mummerts.
@peck - don't you have a Mummert like that minus the colors?

Dec 24, 2012
Don't get me wrong - I think the man is a genius. But no, I could never smoke that lego pipe.
My Mummerts are below - a tad more restrained (and ardent Mummert fans might even say boring).

Aug 1, 2012
The Lego pipe is the second Mummert I would have. The downside for me is that I can afford one with what I've saved but can't conscience spending that much for a pipe right now. That is what it will cost for flights and hotel to Vienna for our anniversary this year and that is a much better option for me right now.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I LOVE that second Mummert.
I dont think anyone would question your taste in pipes Peck. I'm sure there's many more that wouldn't be caught dead smoking it either. I'm actually surprised that there's a couple of us that would.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey guys, someone has to do it, push the envelope on imagination and creativity in pipe design. Most of us are going to stick with

the good old shapes that evolved in France and moved to England, Italy, Denmark and beyond, but someone has to challenge the

paradigm and find a new way forward. Some of this will seep into traditional design and change the whole notion of pipe design.
T.S. Eliot's poem "Wasteland" came into public consciousness and mystified everyone from critics to college professors, and it seemed

so esoteric no one could quite say what it meant nor even how it worked. It was a goldmine for academic articles and scholarly books.

But now that quick-cut pastiche technique has permeated everything, and old T.S. Eliot can be seen in most TV and online ads,

nearly all movie editing, music videos, rap lyrics, and so on. It permeates the global culture. So what looks outlandish and wacky now,

in part, will become a staple of the language in surprisingly short order.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
While my Mummert isn't in the same league I am always treated with a wonderful smoke when I load it up.
9044709562_7f391f3c00_z.jpg

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
I really like those bulldog/dublin hybrids in the first photo. And what's up with the one that has the ceramic pop top built in?
And what does the QR code scan to?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Werner at Bruce Weaver's place Friday night...a very interesting guy. Had the chance to look at a few of his more conventional pipes...the Lego pipe is way out there, but amazingly we'll done...it would be one for display for me- couldn't see smoking it...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Peck those are far from boring and Fish that is one of my favorite Mummert shapes. I do like his cubist and Mondrian takes on things and they are certainly more refined stylistically than the Lego pipe. If I was to get a Mummert it would probably be one of his odd, fat little bulldogs but I must confess that I've been thinking of that Lego pipe since seeing this thread. I wonder if it sold?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Everything is awesome... but I cannot afford this pipe. I contacted Mr. Mummert about this interesting smoking device and learned that it is available but at 2k it is beyond my reach. I still have to admire the craftsmanship, I cannot imaging trying to carve regular wood precisely enough to interface with an actual Lego brick let alone a wood as hard and troublesome as Briar. To pull this off several times over, around the rim and down the shank. Even the stem must have been a real feat to pull off so precisely. As much as I would love to have it on my desk, I will have to admire from afar.

Status
Not open for further replies.