PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbales

Lurker
Nov 4, 2015
I recently started smoking and I've been trying lots of samples. I've been enjoying a lot of them and I would like a tin/pouch of each of my favorites so that I can pick and choose from day to day.

I smoke only 3 bowls a day on average and ideally, I can see that having one tin/pouch open at a time and smoking it all before I open a new one is the best way to not end up with crispy tobacco. How can I have a pick of say, ten different blends?

I've been eyeing up a case of small mason jars but I fear that these are for filling and forgetting, not for opening say two or three times a week.
please share your views on this.
Cheers

J

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have many dozens of small (½ pint) Mason jars from which I sample as the mood strikes.

It's like being in a well stocked B&M, altho my inventory isn't as deep.

Eventually, the various blends separate out into a short rotation and a long rotation.

The jars keep everything very nice and fresh.
A while ago one of our members, Okiescout, introduced me to Sorbent Systems mylar bags. A versatile and inexpensive alternative to glass.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Small jars are good. I usually get through a tin within a week, I've got a couple open at a time. I've got a couple of tobacco jars with "coins" to keep the moisture right. I like to have three or four different blends available and find tins last a couple of weeks easy, the bulk need to be out of the bag and into more substantial containers.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've got so many stinkin jars of tobacco open to choose from it's crazy. But I really like trying new tobaccos. Here's the fun thing I've found about doing things this way. I not only get to try new tobaccos all the time, but the ones I'm indifferent about get pushed to the back and get forgotten about. So a year later or more, I rediscover these forgotten tobaccos and try them again. Yes, sometimes I still find them lacking for me, but other times it's like discovering a new blend that now I like! I do end up pushing some back again, but the ones I find myself going back to time and again, I end ordering more to cellar. Just my wacky way of doing things I guess... :crazy:

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I am new to pipe smoking also. So far in the past week since starting I have opened 4 blends out of 16. Three of the 4 came in tins, the other was a 4oz. bag of Lane 1Q. The 3 that came in tins are staying in the tins, the Lane 1Q was quickly removed from the bag and stored into a jar.
Two of the tins I find to be remarkable smokes, I will order several more tins of these 2 blends and put them away for a later date. The Lane 1Q I find to be a very nice, light and subtle smoke that I plan on buying a pound of and tossing half in storage and the other 1/2 pound in my jar for a daily rotation smoke, I really enjoy it at night with a strong coffee :puffy:

firehosen

Lurker
Dec 12, 2015
I love using mason jars, personally. One of the things it allows for is being able to build a tobacco collection. Or an all out doomsday level stash if you really go crazy with the acquisitions. But I've always liked them. One of the things I get a little chuckle out of doing is when you rediscover something that you like, but forgot you had. Absentmindedness is key to this.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I too use small Mason jars for daily use smoking...my wife side eyes me as I keep taking her canning jars hehehe but as I tell her "priorities my dear, priorities".

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Mason jars are the way to go. I don't steam-seal mine so I'm coming and going from them as well, as you described. They still keep stuff pretty fresh.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I use small mason jars too, but I just seal them up regular, because you let your tobacco breathe a little bit and it helps the aging process

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thick plastic bags inside another thick plastic bag for tobaccos you are going to smoke in the next month or two. Glass jars for everything else.

The bags keep it just as air tight as jars for the short term (noting neither omit oxygen in the short haul), and make it easy to take it with you in the car, to a friend's house, travel, wherever.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
This is right down my alley. I don't have a huge cellar of unopened tins. The unopened I store as is. I like to rotate thru all my tobacco. Whatever the mood hits or I just spot and want to go at it again. I rarely smoke more than two bowls of the same thing back to back. So therefore my dilemma is the same as you jbales. How to keep them from drying out.
Below is a picture of the jar sizes I use. The Perique and Latakia I go into often so the jars there are baby food jars with a lid that comes with the smallest you see there which are $1 candles my wife likes to burn and me as well to light my hemp lighter. These seal better that the tins for frequent use. The larger jars,(1 pint are they?) are for tobacco I try to age or just pull out and transfer to the candle jars. The mid size mason jars for things like a new arrival of bulk. I just poke to whole bag in them and sort it out later.
2l9sllg.jpg

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I am the same dilema I heard from other people that if you put a seal on the mason jar you will not let the tobacco get the oxigen for it to ferment and age, I have a little bit of stonehaven and Penzance in two seperate Ziploc bags and I put it in a jar, I see that you have done the same, I just don't know if to pressure seal the jar or just acre the lid on tight and let it be

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Also hawk I also have lots a baby food jars and candle jars, is there a certain way you clean them? And when you smoke your tobbaco do you happen to get a taste from the jars, I had this old coconut oil jar and I had cleand it and I had put inside of it some tropical delight, but some one told me that I might get some of that coconut oil taste on my tobacco, I haven't tried the tobacco in months so I don't know, but it sounds like a good idea to put tobbaco on the baby jars, I have 2 kiddos and I go through lots of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.