PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
We have mule deer living in the area with us. They just blend in and are seen in yards, eating bushes and generally lounging and pooping everywhere. The last two nights, they have been snacking on the pumpkins (jack-o-lanterns) on our front porch!
This is what we found this morning. I guess they can read the welcome mat.
37357033594_21f41cffab_k_d.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. In a few days, I'd like a mule deer or other creature to finish off the pumpkin, maybe more thoroughly. Otherwise I compost them when they begin to droop. There are various bedding plants and bulbs we can't plant because of our white tails. Despite our living in the city, we have an active population. No hunting in the neighborhoods, and I guess they know that. Happy, hungry deer.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
We give all of our food scraps to our neighbor's chickens, in return for eggs. A good deal, IMO. The chickens got the punkin innards when we made the jack-o-lanterns and now will get the punkin carcasses. :D

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Are you positive that a squirrel isn't responsible? :puffpipe:

Although I think a squirrel would be messier. I have never seen a mule deer eat a pumpkin though..

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Cortez:

Beautiful buck in velvet. We have a similar large Mulie buck with a bit less developed rack.
Chad:

Almost everything eats pumpkin up here - Mulies, elk, squirrels, chipmunks, marmots, magpies, jays, ravens, bunnies, raccoons, skunks, badgers, black bears, foxes, coyotes, & my 2 White Beasts (white malamute mix).

Haven't seen bobcats, cougars, or porcupine eat pumpkin.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cows are nuts for pumpkins too. Been chasing several white tails out of my yard the past few days, when the weather cools, they always go after my flower bulbs.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yep, positive it wasn't a squirrel. We don't have any squirrels around here. And, the pumpkins were moved several feet, over in front of the door. Apparently the deer eat the pumpkin from the inside out. One of our friends said they saw one with a pumpkin on it's HEAD! 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
:rofl:
I've seen a white tail with a pumpkin stuck on its muzzle. You feel bad, but it's hilarious watching it try to get it off.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
With elm sprinkles... the suckers were just out there eating our elm trees. They are beautiful animals and they know we can't hurt them.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
They used to eat everything in our yard when we lived in the foothills of the mountains in Utah. My father being an avid hunter used to wake me up to watch them in the middle of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.