PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now he'll float like a butterfly and sting like a bee forever. RIP Champ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8Ls6Dx1F0

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The list of fallen giants and heroes for 2016 keeps growing. Yet another great is gone.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Thanks for sharing, Jim. Muhammed Ali is my all-time favorite athlete and sometimes I love to Google up his old fights. What a great showman in the ring and a remarkable gentleman outside of it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A favorite memory was after Norton had broken his jaw, Ali appeared on Dick Cavet's show with his jaw wired and his mouth restricted.

After he'd taken his seat, Cavet says: " Muhammad" "Is there any truth to the rumor that you're going to quit boxing and open a chain of dancing schools?"

The delivery was perfect and the response provided a sadistic humor as Ali laughed painfully through his wired grill. It was a very funny moment.

For all his braggadocio, Ali had and knew he had unique charisma and he used it to promote peace and love.

Just ask Joe Frazier.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I was a big boxing fan in the 60s and 70s. Saw a lot of his fights on TV and listened to radio for a lot of others. It was always a big deal when he fought. Rare combination of great talent and a great chin, which is why he ended up with so much neurologic damage.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I don't disagree with the above two posts and certainly felt that way at the time. speaking from the perspective of a boxing fan, he was great and you can't but appreciate what he did in the ring. He talked smack, and backed it up most of the time.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Last Opinion, Flags at Half Mast in Louisville. REALLY, Must be Election time for the Mayor. I"m finished with this. Flags will not be at Hal Mast for me I Garrounte.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
RIP:
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-outsized-life-of-muhammad-ali

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
He didn't serve when called, took what America had to offer and didn't even leave a dime on the counter, Great Boxer Yeah, Great American NO.
I agree with Brad. But with that stated, coming from a boxing family, and having lived the fight world since the early 1950's, I know the personalities of many of the greats. Ali became a better person as he got older. In the late 90's I was in a limo with Ali when he was picked up at an airport to be taken to the Boxing Hall of Fame ceremony. He was gracious and funny. It was the third time I had met him.
I met Joe Louis back in the 70's. And in my opinion was the greatest of all. He was a gentile giant. His knock out punch was only 6 inches. He had an infectious personality.
I met Rocky Marciano a few times and a few years before he died in the mid 60's. I was a teenager and Rocky, along with Joe Louis and a few others were my idols. Talk about taking a punch. He literally had a steel jaw. Rocky was an under-rated fighter. He to had a super personality. Also met Frazier, great fighter but who was a jerk. Ken Norton, and of course Foreman were also classy and great fighters.
Carmen Basilio was a family friend. He was a welterweight, and middle weight. Pound for pound one of the toughest fighters ever. Sugar Ray Robinson, I met also. Sugar Ray has been called the best fighters ever.
I met Mike Tyson when he was inducted to the Boxing Hall of Fame. He can be classy, he can also be a real jerk. As we know. I can go on and on.
Many of the old time fighters never got the publicity from TV like in the modern era of boxing. Ya, there were the Friday night fights. But, only a few of the fighters were shown. If the boxers of the 50's and 60's had the TV coverage, like Ali, Ali's stature of being known as the greatest would have more controversy.
Yes, Ali was great. But not the greatest, especially in his weight class.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
"So what's it like to get punched by Mike Tyson?", asked Nate

"You know, it's not his power, but his speed that gets you!", said Peter

"But he knocked you out in under a minute...", said Nate.

"Yeah but it's not his power, but his speed that gets you", said Peter again.
Peter blew ALL of his Tyson money on crack cocaine. He was the exact opposite of Ali.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I shared a cab and a room in rehab with Peter McNeeley [:)]
Not sure if that was meant to be sarcasm. But honestly, I'm fortunate to live 4 miles from the Boxing Hall of Fame. And because I grew up with boxers and boxing, some pretty damn good back in the day, my range of friends and business associates are all connected within the boxing community. This area is well known for its boxing IQ.
Carmen Basilio, Billy Backus, the DeJohn brothers, Dick DiVeronica, all lived in my area.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Nope, not sarcasm at all. I really did. This was at Hazelden in Center City, MN. Nothing against Peter, he was a really nice guy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
indiana', Carmine Basilio was one of my boxing heros on black and white TV all those years ago, Sugar Ray Robinson, others. Took it first hand in college when I took boxing one semester for P.E. About half dropped out of the class after the first session, leaving me the light weight of the class by at least 20 pounds. I think I passed the course on the speed bag; I was pretty good. Some big rangy Chicago Irish kid about put me down, as many could have for the weight disparity. Not surprised at the toll taken by a career at this, as I can attest firsthand. Why I didn't leave with others after the first session, I have no idea. Delusional I guess.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
The greatest! I wasn't born until 1982, but my Dad loved him, and I grew to really admire him. It's not an exaggeration to say that he was one of the most iconic figures in modern American history.

Status
Not open for further replies.