PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one showed on via a member on another pipe forum. As an Ashford shape fan, I jumped at the opportunity to restore it! It was in great shape with no structural issues. We elected to retain some of the patina, which is my preferred method with pipes of this age.
Here's the full write-upon the Reborn Pipes blog:

https://rebornpipes.com/2019/02/16/mr-pickwick-ashford-restoration/
And the finished pipe, ready for another lifetime of enjoyment. I don't do many pipes that aren't my own these days (time!) but I really enjoyed working on this one.4

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
House of Westminster Catalog 1939

2how10.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, I would tend to think it's a pre-war to early post-war pipe. The mid '30's catalog shows nine "seconds", HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS, ROYAL STUART, FRIAR, MAYFAIR, MR. PICKWICK, HENLEY CLUB, OLD ENGLAND, BERKELEY CLUB, and LONDON CLUB. By the mid '50's, ROYAL STUART, MAYFAIR, OLD ENGLAND, WINDSOR. Obviously, Sasieni streamlined their production at some point in the Post- War period. You've seen enough Ashford stems, what's your take?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The stem is of a decent quality,but perhaps not at the same level as other 2nds lines I've seen (Sashar probably the nicest). I don't see any visible fills, but there is an odd imperfection in the vulcanite. (right near the logo). Your dating seems sound, based on the catalog lines between eras.

Status
Not open for further replies.